Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A Really Strange One

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 03:18 PM

A Really Strange One

So I have a really strange problem going on that I desperately need some suggestions. Had the car checked for a noise that was going on when applying the brakes at low speed. It seems that applying the brake is causing the engine to move from side to side and creating a squeaking noise at low speeds only. Engine mounts are good so it isn't that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing something like this or ever heard of such a thing? Chuck
Old 03-15-2023, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

As we always say: “Year, model and mileage”. So we don’t have to guess at what we’re replying to.

Who said the engine is moving but the mounts are good ? Sounds like nonsense to me.
If you have a brake noise, then I would be looking at the brakes 1st followed by the suspension. My guess would be the LCA bushings are shot.
Old 03-15-2023, 04:44 PM

My guess is LCA bushings. Especially if it feels like the car is still moving after the wheels stop.
Peek through the oblong hole in the passenger side front wheel house; if you see a bolt centered the motor mount is good, off center bad.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
As we always say: “Year, model and mileage”. So we don’t have to guess at what we’re replying to.

Who said the engine is moving but the mounts are good ? Sounds like nonsense to me.
If you have a brake noise, then I would be looking at the brakes 1st followed by the suspension. My guess would be the LCA bushings are shot.
My mechanic, which I trust completely, and oh, I saw it with my own eyes, which I also trust completely. It moves from side to side like someone is trying to lift one side. I didn't say this is a brake noise. I said it is a noise that happens when the brakes are applied and the shifting of the engine happens at the same time. The brakes have been recently replaced so we are looking at the axles and hub assembly. This is a 2010 with 30,000 miles that has been meticulously maintained. I just thought someone might have encountered this before to save us some time in diagnosing. Chuck
Old 03-20-2023, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
My guess is LCA bushings. Especially if it feels like the car is still moving after the wheels stop.
Peek through the oblong hole in the passenger side front wheel house; if you see a bolt centered the motor mount is good, off center bad.
Thanks. We will be sure to check the bushings. Both the mechanic and I have verified that the engine mounts are good. I should have a good idea today what is going on. Looking at the axles and right front hub assembly as a suspect. That's where the sound seems to be coming from. Chuck
Old 03-20-2023, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Axles and hubs should not allow the engine to move side to side.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

The mounts (engine and trans) are what holds the engine in the car. If you have engine movement then it’s bad mounts, lose mounts, a lose engine cradle or unibody damage at the engine mounting location.
If the engine moves side to side as you claim, then I would look at the front engine mount and where it bolts to the engine and unibody.
If that front engine mount is good and all bolts secure then the engine Can Not move side to side.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:04 AM

So, THE engine mount is good; how about the transmission mountS.
What magic does the mechanic think holds the engine besides mounts? I suppose it is possible the cradle bolts are loose. Maybe it is really the earth that is moving under the engine.
Which side or end of the engine lifts? The axles isolate the brakes and suspension, the unsprung parts of the car, the engine is sprung.
I don't know what procedure "verifies" the mounts. I don't know how you can tell if the rubber to metal bond is broken without unbolting them.

Anyway, if the engine moves in relation to the body either the cradle is moving or a mount is broken.