Rear drum brake repair tutorial - Chevy HHR Network


Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MikeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 430
Rear drum brake repair tutorial

I've looked all over this forum and a few other HHR forums and can't find any tutorials on rear brake shoe replacement, however there are several around for the front brakes. Does anyone know where a HHR rear brake tutorial is? That might be good to add to the forum.
MikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-09-2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX View Post
I've looked all over this forum and a few other HHR forums and can't find any tutorials on rear brake shoe replacement, however there are several around for the front brakes. Does anyone know where a HHR rear brake tutorial is? That might be good to add to the forum.
Mike,

This is actually pretty simple to do. Take off the rear wheel. ONce rear wheel is off you take the drum off. Take the drum to the nearest dealer, or repair shop to have resurfaced if it can be. This will ensure even wear on the shoes.

Next to take the shoes off. Here is the tricky part. When you replace the shoes, you should also replace all of the springs and other hardware as well. Just to make everything new and tight. To take the shoes off they are held in by spring loaded pins about midpoint to the shoes. Take a needle nose plier and push the spring while turing the pin to release.

Once shoes are loose, you need to take the spring off one by one. After all springs are you there is a "U" clip holding the emergency brake cable. Remove this clip and the shoe will come off. Installation is opposite of removal.

I have to re-adjust my rears in a few weeks. I can take pictures for you once i get to that point. I hope this helps a little bit.
NxlKing2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MikeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 430
Thanks. I thought I could do it after looking at generic drum brake repair, but wasn't sure if there was anything special about it. Plus, I thought it was rather strange that the disk brake, which seems less complicated, had more HHR tutorials than the drum brake. I wondered why.

Yea pics would be great for me.
MikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: 02-07-2009
Location: Dundas
Posts: 66
Remember to do one side at a time so you know where the springs go, or as one of my student did, take a picture first with your cell phone camera.
Carproff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-05-2008
Location: Akron Ohio
Posts: 5,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX View Post
Thanks. I thought I could do it after looking at generic drum brake repair, but wasn't sure if there was anything special about it. Plus, I thought it was rather strange that the disk brake, which seems less complicated, had more HHR tutorials than the drum brake. I wondered why.

Yea pics would be great for me.

The E brake is different on disc from car to car where drums have changed little over the years.

Many people just now are owning cars with rear disc and never have changed them before.
hyperv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ballplr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-18-2007
Location: Leesburg Va.
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX View Post
Thanks. I thought I could do it after looking at generic drum brake repair, but wasn't sure if there was anything special about it. Plus, I thought it was rather strange that the disk brake, which seems less complicated, had more HHR tutorials than the drum brake. I wondered why.

Yea pics would be great for me.
most likely the reason for no tutorials for rear brakes is because rear brakes on most car are done once too two times on the front. hope that answers your question
ballplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MikeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballplr View Post
most likely the reason for no tutorials for rear brakes is because rear brakes on most car are done once too two times on the front. hope that answers your question
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to say there.
MikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-05-2008
Location: Akron Ohio
Posts: 5,465
I think he ment that the brakes are usally done twice as often on the front as they are on the back most time.

I think.
hyperv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ballplr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-18-2007
Location: Leesburg Va.
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to say there.
yes on alot of vehicles with rear drum brakes, they aren't done as often as the front, and most people on here haven't had to do them yet is my guess. Also alot of talk about front brakes is due the up grade to better pads and rotors because of the vibration problem with the cheap rotors we have on our HHR's Front brakes are done normally twice before the rears are done once.
ballplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-05-2008
Location: Akron Ohio
Posts: 5,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballplr View Post
yes on alot of vehicles with rear drum brakes, they aren't done as often as the front, and most people on here haven't had to do them yet is my guess. Also alot of talk about front brakes is due the up grade to better pads and rotors because of the vibration problem with the cheap rotors we have on our HHR's Front brakes are done normally twice before the rears are done once.
On my last truck the front to rear ratio was 3 to none in 100,000 miles.

I am waiting to see what the HHR does. My GTP has a Bosh balancing system with the stability control and even with the wifes hard driving got 63,000 miles front and rear. The pads were dead even on wear on both ends.

I hope the system on the SS does the same.
hyperv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting Brake Caliper and.or Rear Drum ? Chevy_dork04 Mods - Exterior 9 08-23-2017 04:42 PM
HHR Rear Drum Brake Set nobalt Inactive Classified Ads 4 11-21-2014 05:18 AM
servicing rear drum brake toolman101 Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts 2 11-15-2014 06:44 PM
Rear Brake Question after drum and shoe replacement RustyNCA Maintenance and Upkeep 13 04-26-2014 02:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Copyright © 2005 - 2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.