Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Recirculation actuator

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Yes, actuator.

Discount code

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/supp...-2018-a-59821/

RockAuto
Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 AM

Thanks much!! Will check it out this weekend.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:35 AM

J W Davis, thanks for your helpful tips in this thread.

if you're still active on these forums, would you be willing to expound on this note?

"I have replaced both of mine in the past, really a no brainer....very easy and you do not have to remove anything to get to them, one is under dash above floor driver side and the other is behind the glove box."

Specifically, how were you able to reach and replace the recirculation actuator without having to take apart the dash?

I've tried accessing the actuator through the glove box opening. While I can reach the actuator, I find I don't really have room to maneuver it out of its installed position, and even if I did, I'm concerned that I wouldn't have space to then maneuver it out of the glove box opening.

Would you mind sharing how you were able to do it?
Old 01-03-2020, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by J W Davis
I have replaced both of mine in the past, really a no brainer....very easy and you do not have to remove anything to get to them, one is under dash above floor driver side and the other is behind the glove box.
I received a note from J W Davis via private message and wanted to share a couple details for anyone else attempting to replace the recirculation actuator (located inside the top right corner of the dashboard). J W personally replaced the actuator on the driver side, which is more readily accessible. He said a dealership service team replaced another actuator, which he had already bought, behind the glove box. J W said that the dealership repair only took 30 minutes, which indicates there is an easy way to do it. I'm not sure if this actuator was the recirculation actuator, and J W wasn't sure how the dealership performed the repair so quickly.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:18 PM
Founding Member

My shop was going to replace JWs air inlet actuator, but it turned out once the dash and A/C case was removed, that there was a huge turkey feather that had sucked up into the case and was jamming the door. If you are replacing an AIR INLET, the dash must come off.

If you are replacing the Mode or Temp Actuator both are 30 minute jobs.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:59 PM

ChevyMgr, thank you very much for providing this insight. Yes, we're working on the recirculation actuator.

I am going to check for turkey feathers, toucan beaks and anything else that might be jamming the door tonight. If nothing is found, I may resort to the "zip-tie" hack others have used (see video at bottom of post) as I don't believe recirculation control is worth spending $800+ to repair.

Zip-tie hack:

Old 01-03-2020, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Yes, ChevyMgr did have his shop repair my unit when a turkey feather slipped down the defrost vent. That was many years ago when the car was in warranty, but were kind enough to still do the job anyway.
The issue I had has only been about three years ago, same problem as described below. I bought a new actuator from local dealer to do it myself but never got around to it. That was when the steering motor recall came out so I took the actuator with me and ask them to install it while they had the car. They told me they did but after hearing what was involved here today I think they just reset something to fix it and said they did replace the unit. They could not have replaced it in 30 minutes, must have just told me they did. NOTE: This was a different dealership from where ChevyMgr is in charge!

Thanks Chevymgr, you cleared that issue up for me again!
Old 01-05-2020, 05:13 PM

The motor blows air. But it is always hot air, no matter the setting. Which actuator might be the issue?
Old 01-06-2020, 08:06 AM

That vid is for BLEND door. Am I supposed to be confused still.

I don't know why having the recirc door stuck in flow thru would be a problem. Stuck in recirc is a problem.

The motor blows air. But it is always hot air, no matter the setting. Which actuator might be the issue?
That would be the BLEND door.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:43 AM

Just did the zip tie trick to mine last night, worked like a charm, no more flapping door.

Quick Reply: Recirculation actuator