Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Red Brake Light on Dash - Not Parking SW or Fluid Level

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:54 AM

Red Brake Light on Dash - Not Parking SW or Fluid Level

The red "Brake" indicator was occasionally illuminating. Typically, just turning the HHR off and then restarting would clear it. Now, it's ALWAYS on.
I've check the parking brake switch. It would (and does) ding-ding-ding if engaged while moving. I pulled the brake fluid sensor and triggered it with a magnet. The dash message said "Brake Fluid" or something like that.

What else would trigger a red brake indication? I need to get it inspected and have heard that some places won't pass it with a brake light indication. Probably due to liability issues.

A bit of background that might help. The Traction Control and ABS warning lit up about a year ago. The dealer told me it's a computer mounted near the steering column and is extremely difficult to get to. Although, I wouldn't take their word without seeing the codes myself.

The "Check Engine" light is most likely due to the intake and/or exhaust camshaft position solenoids. It's been on for several months.
Let's just say that my HHR is a work in progress. I'm hitting these issues one at a time.
Thanks!

Last edited by dino9832; 06-29-2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Adding picture.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:10 PM

Most brake shops will do a free brake inspection, see if they'll check your OBD2 codes for you also. If they won't, try the auto parts store.

You're also showing a tire pressure problem, an ABS problem, and the traction control is disabled.

Ignoring these warnings is not a good idea.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Why would you ever ignore all those issues for such a length of time? And it won't likely pass inspection with the CEL on either.

With the checkl engine light on, it likely is shifting rather abruptly?
Old 06-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Technical Moderator

"most likely" that is just unhelpful! FYI VVT valves will cause TC warnings. What difference does the difficulty of reaching a computer have to do with anything?

Maybe you should find out why the CEL is on.

Based on the information you supplied all we can say is "something is broken". I can pretty much guarantee an emissions fail and "most likely" a safety fail; not for liability issues but because "something is wrong".
Old 06-29-2019, 03:00 PM

I've added the repair bill from the dealership to my original post. When I said "most likely" I was referring to the "Engine Intake Actuator."
Oh, and the vehicle runs and shifts just fine. Rapid acceleration can be sluggish at times, but other times it works great. I did some research on that issue (here) and it's been mentioned several times as a classic symptom of the engine intake actuator.

Last edited by dino9832; 06-29-2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Adding another sentence.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:17 PM

Classic symptom or not, if you get the codes read, and post the numbers here, then you won't be held hostage by the dealer. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong.

But actually, you need someone with an expensive scanner to read all the codes, OBD2 and ABS. Auto parts store probably can't access the ABS codes.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
....Auto parts store probably can't access the ABS codes.
Thanks for that bit of information. I was thinking of taking it to Autozone. My first choice was to just buy a scanner off Amazon. It'd be a real handy piece of equipment to have around.
But prices jump considerably when you look at getting the ABS/SRS features.

I thought this would be a simple issue of a limited number of things that could trigger the brake light warning.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dino9832

I thought this would be a simple issue of a limited number of things that could trigger the brake light warning.
It is a simple issue. The hard part is finding the fault among literally hundreds of parts that are tied into the modern OBD system.
In the old, pre OBD days, you didn't know you had a problem until the brake pedal went to the floor at 50 mph !
Old 06-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Technical Moderator

If you are intending to do the job yourself it is NOT "intake actuator" it IS "intake VVT valve". I suggest you do both at the same time. If you can change an air filter you are overqualified for changing VVT valves. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...13-14-a-28779/

What is the "replace power steering module" about? If the motor is bad the repair is free under an extended warranty. And there may be a code for that hiding in plain sight that could cause brake/ABS/TC warnings.

Some big box stores do use the better scanners. Mostly they use one that got returned and they didn't feel like doing the paperwork.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:25 PM

None of the issues shown on the repair bill caused the brake warning light. That light came on somewhat recently. It's obviously tied to more than the parking brake and fluid level.

As for the valves (actuator?) I'm planning to replace both.
Thanks for the link! That's the same post I was planning to follow when I get to it.

Amazon has some for only $36.97 a set. It almost seems to good to be true!
Intake and Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Kit - Replaces 12655421, 12655420 - Fits Chevy Cobalt, HHR, Malibu, Equinox, GMC Terrain, Pontiac G6 and more GM Vehicles - 2.0, 2.2, 2.4L
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TMHK23/?coliid=I24LBF9W520VB7&colid=2WLKTG7K3X7J8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TMHK23/?coliid=I24LBF9W520VB7&colid=2WLKTG7K3X7J8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Quick Reply: Red Brake Light on Dash - Not Parking SW or Fluid Level