Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

rodent infestation in the spare tire well

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 04:41 PM

Doggo keeps the packrats under control, and the gophers, moles, marmots and ground squirrels don't seem to like vehicles.

A few years ago mice gnawed the HHR's wiring to the tune of @ $350, and the tech who did the repair prevented further incursions by wrapping virtually all the wires with foil.

No underhood insulation to worry about, (dunno if that is typical of HHRs, but mine lacks a hood liner) The wheel well insulation provided some nesting material, prompting me to remove the tattered remains.

Lately I've been contemplating buying a pet ferret, or locating a couple of hungry snakes.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:00 PM

My snakes are well fed... Rodents breed faster than they can eat.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
My snakes are well fed... Rodents breed faster than they can eat.
Need more snakes!
Old 08-02-2019, 05:46 PM

Have you tried "Baiting around the HHR"
That might help some along with the traps.
Finding the right bait can be a problem.
Put some different baits out at the same time to see what they like the best.
Sounds like a cat would just be a temp fix Once he gets tired of all the easy marks.
Finding and Blocking the place they are getting in is the best fix for starters, but they just might be forced to find another way in.

You Sure got some Funny Replies..... I'm still Chuckling.........

Silverfox
Old 08-02-2019, 06:31 PM

If by "bait" you mean poison then I would be killing hawks, crows, racoon, anything else that wants an easy meal... No thank you, I'd rather not.. I won't even use that stuff inside my house just in case one got outside before dying. Or my indoor cat or bird found it... although I doubt the cat would eat a mouse the bird probably would tear one up.

In my case blocking off their access to the HHR would be filling the engine compartment with something solid, like concrete.

One of the problems with modern cars, not just chevy but most makes. The insulation on the wires is soy based, not petro like old cars. To a rodent soy is food... The shop I take my cars to does a steady business replacing whole harnesses on some cars. Thousands of dollars worth of rodent damage... Some guys it's been the same car more than one time, until their insurance says they won't pay for it again. As I have mentioned nothing deters these things around here.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Friend long ago used some rodent kill, & the rodents ate it & went to their secret location, which in about 3 days became obvious. IN the wall..
Old 08-02-2019, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
If by "bait" you mean poison then I would be killing hawks, crows, racoon, anything else that wants an easy meal... No thank you, I'd rather not.. I won't even use that stuff inside my house just in case one got outside before dying. Or my indoor cat or bird found it... although I doubt the cat would eat a mouse the bird probably would tear one up.

In my case blocking off their access to the HHR would be filling the engine compartment with something solid, like concrete.

One of the problems with modern cars, not just chevy but most makes. The insulation on the wires is soy based, not petro like old cars. To a rodent soy is food... The shop I take my cars to does a steady business replacing whole harnesses on some cars. Thousands of dollars worth of rodent damage... Some guys it's been the same car more than one time, until their insurance says they won't pay for it again. As I have mentioned nothing deters these things around here.
Yeah poisons aren't an option.

I've had the entire wire harness foil wrapped, so that's no longer an issue.

Although mice can still crawl about the engine compartment, they cannot chew the wires, and don't linger to build nests because I keep the hood up when it's parked.

All other access or potential access has now been mouse-proofed with heavy metal screen, so unless the little bastids can wield a plasma cutter they're not getting in.

I bait mouse traps with peanut butter, or avocado. The avocado works best but has a tendency to dry out. I use inexpensive snap traps, but have had success with large bowls of water. They climb in for a quick dip, but cannot scale the slippery sides of the bowl, and drown.

I'm considering a moat...
Old 08-03-2019, 08:29 AM

I had an Oldsmobile Aurora where the rodents chewed on the A/C drain which caused the passenger floorboard to get wet. It cost me $1,800 to replace a $0.50 part because they had to remove the dashboard to get to it. That was after they chewed on the sparkplug wires and windshield washer tank and hoses of my 1971 Olds 442 convertible. I found these granules I put under both cars that were rodent repellent. It had wolf or fox urine in it. Worked really well except for the mess on the garage floor!

It was something like this:

https://promptpestcontrol.com/produc...ent-repellent/
Old 08-03-2019, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

A couple months ago I found this hanging out in my garage. The door is the one where my SS stays . Since the snake was inside the garage and just "doing his job",
I let him stay for a while. Just a friendly rat snake.
(not the best pic)

Old 08-03-2019, 09:11 AM

Snakes have a way to get into my attic... I find shed snake skin up there. Must be plenty of food.

Quick Reply: rodent infestation in the spare tire well