Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Runs ruff after long trips

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 AM

Runs ruff after long trips

I have a 06 2.2 and drive 200mi a day. I have about 55000 mi now on my hhr. I have this ruff idel at the stop lights after running the car on the highway for 46 miles or sometimes just a few milies. I never had it die or not go when I wanted to go. Just runs like a hot cam in the motor. But the guy I work with has a hhr 06 as well and his doen't do it. The dealer said it's a hot rod motor and needs time to wind down. BS I say. Needless to say that was back at 28K miles ago. I have just lived with it. I have reseated my fuses and still didn't do anything to help problem.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 01-23-2008 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Reduced pic size
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 AM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 30
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!!

Originally Posted by purple haze
The dealer said it's a hot rod motor and needs time to wind down.
What?!?!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 AM

You sure waited awhile to make your first post! It sounds like your dealer is in a "purple haze"!!! The engine should idle smoothly. Sounds like a faulty sensor. Time for a new dealer!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jeffs396
You sure waited awhile to make your first post! It sounds like your dealer is in a "purple haze"!!! The engine should idle smoothly. Sounds like a faulty sensor. Time for a new dealer!
Yes this dealer has worked on my other car: Chevy Trailblazer 04. I had to prove that the car had a problems that I found on web page forums. I could go on. But the trailblazer was just at the end of it's warranty. I know that other dealers would have said that it's too late. But I got them to fix it. I still have problems with this car after repairs done but I know that they will just tell me that's a new problem. This Trailblazer has had a lot of electrical problems.

On the HHR I have had only 2 problems with it. It runs great on the open road and gets me 28 - 30 MPG. I love that. I was thinking that my car would die and I could show them the problem with it. But we ran codes and found no problems. Now that I am out of warranty and drive the miles I do. I will just have to pay now for the repairs.

Not going to go back to this dealer anymore.

I found that if you break tracktion and the car spins the tire from first to second it will stop the spin at second. Not die but just rev limts out. Is that a problem or a program in the computer? I know if you put your car in Park or N. you can floor it. It will rev's to 4500 rpm's and a rev limt comes on so you don't blow it. I found that to be true with all HHR's with my motor.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 AM

Mine does the exact same thing.....to a tee....
Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 AM

There is a solution. Trade for a SS.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
There is a solution. Trade for a SS.
With my mods I'm at the same HP as the automatic SS.....And for a whole lot less.... ...........Regards
Old 01-24-2008, 07:17 PM

I had the same exact rough idle condition you are describing and basically didn’t think too much of it, until at 65,000 miles the "Check Engine" light started coming on repeatedly.

After multiple annoying trips to the dealership to perform a number of diagnostic system scans, including a high pressure fuel injector cleaning, swap out of a number of the actual fuel injectors, spark plugs and etc., the miss-fire condition was thought to be an issue somewhere within the cylinder head assembly.

Subsequently after the cylinder head removal, it was determined the root cause to the problem was a valve(s) is hanging up. The fix was to replace the cylinder head and to re-assemble the new cylinder head with some of the existing parts as well as a number of new components.

I can honestly say the rough idle condition is no longer present.

As a side note, my vehicle remained at the dealership in a torn down state waiting for the new cylinder head to arrive for approximately a one (1) month period.

Hat’s off to GM for their responsiveness and genuine interest in customer satisfaction………………….

After driving approximately 1,000 miles, just what, the "Check Engine" is back on again; however the rough idle condition did not re-occur.

Back to the dealership to perform another diagnostic system scan, this time indicating a lean mixture condition. Apparently a tech bulletin pin pointed the need to swap out all four (4) fuel injectors with a so called new “2nd Generation Design” and a reprogramming of the PCM.

After 500 miles, everything is fine thus far, engine in running great.

Not sure about the fuel mileage as the temperatures here have been under 20º F all week, not conducive to good fuel mileage.

The fortunate thing for me is I purchased a GM MajorGuard warranty upfront. Can’t imagine what these repairs would have cost me out of pocket.

Regards,

HHRANDY

Last edited by HHRANDY; 01-26-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:58 AM

This is something to think about. One day on a weekend I started the car and it ran like on 2 or 3 cylinders. This was only once. The ruff idle is only very little. Idle runs at about 700 rpm's and drops to about 500 rpm's. Then comes back up. It may repeat this when waiting for the light to change. It will do it 4 or 5 times. I have tried gas for other stations and more. I think what you had may be my problem. I purchased the car used with a GM Certified Warranty. But what will be covered in this? I will need to call and ask. Thanks for your help.