Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rust on inside of door

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Did not know of this...Thanks for posting.

I'll have to give mine a thorough look at, I was just planning to wax all the inner jams / doors anyhow.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Hey Y'all,

Over these last two weeks my car has been in the body getting the stone chip problem on the rear fenders taken care of. Well, they did a really poor job and I went back today to report some more problems with the way it was taken care.

While I was discussing some of the problems I also showed the body shop guy the bottom of my driver side passenger door. The area where the seam is from the folded over sheet metal has had some small bubbles in it since as long as I can remember. I never thought to bring this up before because I thought it might just be a problem with the metal being a little rough being in a non visible area. He looked at it and said that was from rust forming behind the panel.

We looked at the other doors and my passenger front door is affected as well. So, my HHR will be gone again to the body shop on Tuesday probably for another week to be refinished due to the previous poor job and to have this rust problem fixed.

If you don't check out the bottom of the door area or you don't wipe down your door sills and such after washing your HHR I would suggest you check that area for rust.

Oh, and mine HHR is a 2006 purchased in Sept 2005.
I had picked up my 2008 HHR SS via GMC Exec car from Detroit. It went through one winter there only before I got the car.

Rust bubbles on all four doors lower seam as described here. Currently being covered under warranty by the dealership. My 2007 did not have this problem after one year's age.

I checked the other day before it went into the shop to see if the bubbles were rust or not. Definitely rust.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 PM

I know Detroit winters are devastating to cars, but in one year?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Laco
I know Detroit winters are devastating to cars, but in one year?
I would have said Buffalo over Detroit, but yes, one season should not cause this.

Anyways, as soon as it is done (tomorrow), it's going into Krown for rust proofing protection IMMEDIATELY.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by hhrsscanuck
I would have said Buffalo over Detroit, but yes, one season should not cause this.

Anyways, as soon as it is done (tomorrow), it's going into Krown for rust proofing protection IMMEDIATELY.
Yeah, mine has it too..did when I bought it. And that was from only 2 Michigan winters. It was bought by the original owner in June of 2006, and it was sold to the dealership in September of 2008, so that would only be the winters of 06-07 and 07-08.

My grandpa's '08 Silverado had the same rust after the first winter as well..
Old 02-21-2010, 11:29 PM

I'll check mine out since it doesn't see any winter driving. 6 years is my threshhold for a vehicle getting rust around here. Any sooner and you have a major problem with the manufacture of your car. My wife's Honda is showing rust on the door pillars. They are covered in black tape and make me wonder if they were bare metal before being covered in tape? We'll be hounding the dealer very soon!

JIm

My Jeep showed hints of rust a few years ago but finally has shown some serious signs this year at 9 years old. This I can handle and will either let it go for a few more and get tube fenders or just let it decay since I'd rather have the Stage 1 in my HHR.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 AM

Mine too, showed up on the frt doors last spring, had the 2 frt doors redone under warranty, just noticed the other day after a wash and wipe down the frt doors are doing it again, and now the rear doors seem to have the same affliction... 3 yr bumper to bumper runs out in july I'll have to get it in..
Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not positive (with out looking) but I believe the rust warranty is longer than the 3/36 ..

Best to check to be sure..
Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Suprising that it has already happened after 4 yrs. What isn't suprising is the location. The spots are exactly where the salt would splatter up onto and sit, unless thoroughly rinsed off on a regular basis. I rinse my HHR regularly in the winter, just to prevent the salt from sitting in one spot. The skirts on the SS make it an even worse place as everything will get trapped in this location and am thinking of doing a full Krown job next year, including plugs in the door.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM

My experience with this over the years with many cars has been the amount of seasonal corrosives that the state relentlessly puts on the roads. I happen to drift between PA (my family origin) and NY (where I now reside). It seems that PENNDOT salts and spreads calcium chloride even on nice days. All things being the same care wise, those vehicles that I have kept in NY have avoided rust far better than those that have spent some of their lives in PA.

Case in point, we have a 10 year old Olds Bravada that has spend all of it's life in NY. Virtually no rust, underside or body. We have an 8 year old S10 Pickup of similar if not same construction as the Bravada that has spent 4 years in PA and the remainder in NY. Although my focus is to clean the chassis in the winter months, I already see signs of rust on the bed rails and support struts of the S10.

It's not the snow, but the frequency of corrosives that your particular state applies.

If the Fl guys are seeing the same thing, then we all have a problem...