Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

service esc

Old 03-20-2018, 06:23 AM

service esc

hey guys. getting on here to see if i can get any help or suggestions on what to do about my 08 hhr SS. heres whats going on with it. back in Jan i had the tires spin alitte and the traction control kicked in and it never came out of limp mode. had the service esc message on the dash with the traction control light on and the check engine light came on. i stopped and turned the car off and on and the message and traction light went off but still stuck in limp mode with the engine light on. the engine light is throwing codes for the MAF sensor but that is not the problem for i have changed the MAF twice, checked the wiring etc etc but still no luck. they told me it was the pcm so i bought a new one and still the same. i do have a tune on the pcm so i sent it out to be retuned again. no luck. coming home yesterday, the service esc message and traction control light came back on..i have been dealing with this since jan and have spent bout 2000 bucks on car dealers and another mechanic and still nothing has been resolved. plz plz help..any ideas will help. oh and i just had a stage 4 clutch put in by the dealer back in nov
Old 03-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Without posting the actual CEL numbers, we would only be taking a wild guess.

P.S. Any chance it's related to your other "problem" you posted about ? You never came back to follow up on that issue so we don't know where you're at exactly.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:19 AM

yeah i think its related. the codes are p0100, p0113 and p0114. the dealer checked everything dealing with the MAF yesturday and everything came out good. then the told me i need a new computer which i already did that weeks ago. taking the car home yesterday, the service esc and traction control light came back on so I'm just banging my head against the wall at this point. got all that spit and spuddering to stop with it. car runs fine now but just in limp mode now. no turbo
Old 03-20-2018, 08:04 AM

FYI when you meet a dealer or mechanic that says you need a new computer, they are actually telling you that you need a new mechanic. LOL.

ECU RARELY fails if ever. Almost always something else. Problem is, alot of mechanics and dealers dont want to take the time to actually diagnose issues that they come across. They just replace a part and send you out of the bay and pull the next car in.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Technical Moderator

I don't care how many times the MAF has been replaced or how many times you "checked" the wires. Your problem is the MAF wires, probably in the connector to the ECM.

Does the car have a GM stage 1 tune?

It is the codes that are causing the traction and ESC.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Administrator

P0100, possibly caused by harness issues

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0100

P0113, possibly caused by harness issues, air intake tube leaks

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0113

P0114, possibly caused by harness issues, air leaks in intake tubes

So, check for cracked charge pipe, loose harness pins at the MAF, throttle body, and ECM.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:28 PM

just got the car back from the dealer again. and as they said the last time.. need a new comp. i myself don't know how to check or even what I'm looking when it comes to the wiring. how to check them or replace?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Technical Moderator

Did you demand to know why it needs a new computer and how it could have been damaged?

Did anybody actually check the continuity of the wires and the pins in the connectors?

What are you calling a "dealer"; a used car lot or a Genuine GM Service Department?

Did they guarantee the replacement would repair the car? (money back)

Did you program the ECM that you bought already?
Old 03-22-2018, 07:10 PM

yeah the dea
Old 03-22-2018, 07:12 PM

ugh..yeah the dealer checked all that and it came out good. could it be a boost leak? like a bad intercooler or something. read on here about a guy with a cobalt tc with the same problem and it was an blowen intercooler

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: service esc