Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service esc service traction

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

Simply put. You need to get the codes pulled and post the numbers. That is the only way we can help. And post only the actual #'s like P0001, P0002 (ex.)
DO NOT post any descriptions of the codes because sometimes those can be misleading or wrong.

Fwiw. There are certain CEL codes that disable ESC and Traction control. Doesn't necessary mean those systems are faulty.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:52 AM

"How does the traction control system break a wheel?"
I don't even know what that question means.

What do you mean " the ABS is still working"?

This has nothing to do with the transmission!

Oh, this is an SS? Have you looked for a leak in the intercooler?

The esc and tc will deactivate if any performance related problem exists.

You need a code reader that can read ABS codes. That will identify which wheel, if any, has a problem. It will be a Cxxxx-hh code.

Please practice using complete sentences.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:10 PM

Good thing I pulled the codes again.

And reading the forums helped. Mass airflow sensor was out of range.

Turns out it wasn't plugged back in when the radiator, fan, and Reservoir were replaced.

Engine's rough again. It must have been in safe mode. The cam solonoids need to be replaced (per bad advice I replaced the sensor indtead. Reading here I now know better)

Why in the ____ do they throw out traction control when the mass air flow sensor is not good. I would have checked the right thing a long time ago.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
"How does the traction control system break a wheel?"
I don't even know what that question means.

What do you mean " the ABS is still working"?

This has nothing to do with the transmission!

A: perhaps I don't know how how traction control works. Generally one of two things happen. It applies breaking action to the slipping wheel. (I didn't know the abs had a way to compress. Just let up on the breaks real fast.) Thus I thought perhaps the breaking mechanism was in the transmission.
The second way a traction contol system often works is by locking the differential. Again a transmission thing.

B: If I hit ice or sand, the abs kicks in. Thus I know it's working. (And I've seen posts about abs vs just traction control scrolling in the dash) I know the traction control isn't working because it doesn't kick in when I peel out like it used to.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:08 PM

The wheel speed sensors input to the EBCM for traction control/ABS. The yaw sensor inputs to the EBCM for ESC.

Therefore most likely cause is wheel speed sensor.
As noted above some performance related faults also turn those warnings on.
The Traction control light on the console indicates that the traction control is turned OFF. If it is turned OFF then the ESC needs servicing, because it can't work without the EBCM.

Much of my confusion comes from the misspelling of BRAKE. AND, you forgot to mention the CEL!

The reason the traction control and ESC are disabled is
a.) you don't need them if the car is not running right and
b.) if you didn't see the CEL maybe you will see 2 more warning lights. The car is slapping you in the face!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Silly me, asking you to post up the code numbers. What do I know.

FMG out.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Silly me, asking you to post up the code numbers. What do I know.

FMG out.
so people can find this thread.
P0010 & p0011 not affecting this thread but p0011 hasn't come back on in 68 miles
68 miles after clearing after plugging harnes back in.
Initial problem
Pre clearing

P0102 mass airflow (the problem here)
p0013 air temp circuit temp high (product of mass airflow circut being unpligged.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:17 PM

You are totally 100% wrong!
As a matter of fact, ALL of those codes can inactivate the ESC and TC.

Our point is "forgetting" details leads everybody around the block, If you had posted that info in the OP the thread would have ended in 2 posts.

If, for some reason you doubt that, type "ESC and TC " into the search box. Setting to Google. You will find hundreds of references.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:39 PM

Perhaps partly wrong. There may be some case it might inactivate the ESC, but the cam solenoid code had been a problem before, and is still there even though the esc is no longer in an error state.

I have search it so many times. That is why when I saw the p0102 I went strait for that.

Yes, I should have initially posted the codes. And pulled codes as soon as I saw I was asked to.

I didn't initially post the codes because I though the ESC was a separate compiter that I was unable to read.

It wasn't until post #8 that I was told/corrected that It could be read by ODB readers.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:48 PM

Sorry instead if "and"

It should say "and i"
Yes, as soon as I saw that It could be read via odb I did that.

Reread the op line by line everything is in there including why I didn't post the codes, and why I thought seeking a warrantee check might be the cheapest way to get them to read the codes (from the separate computer that can't be read drom the odb)

For bystanders skimming, The ODB readers CAN check the ESC faults

Quick Reply: Service esc service traction