Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service ESC Service Traction after panic stop.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 PM

Service ESC Service Traction after panic stop.

This past Monday I had to hit the brakes hard and cut sharply to the right to avoid a collision. At the time my DSc showed Service ESC and Service Traction. The Brake,traction control and ABS lights were lit and vehicle still running. I continued to drive on carefully, as an onramp was not the place to stop and trouble shoot. The vehicle ran fine with no adverse affect aside for the Brake , Traction and ABS lights lit. When I got to an area where I could stop and turn of the car, it restarted normally and idiot lights went out.
The next day I noticed a humming sound ( seems to come from the front end) at speed and coast down. The sound is similar to tire noise like all terrain tires, though not as loud and higher frequency. Different from hub bearing going bad ( I had that ).
I check the tires and found a nail stuck in a rear tire. Brought the car in to Sears where they were purchased to have them check the tire and see if they can determine the source of the noise.
Road test and under car inspection didn't show any thing unusual except that some time when the Tech would spin the tire, the engine would shake. I looked under the car with him while this was done and can't figure out what was causing this.
Sorry for the long post, any thoughts would be apreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 PM

Happens to me at the track during burnouts sometimes. Computer notices front tires spinning, back tires aren't. Not to worry.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 PM

@Lake Runner, have you had the vehicle hooked up to a computer to see if there were any codes stored when the warning lights were on? This might be something that could help with what’s going on.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM

Thanks Michelle.
I didn't get a CEL but I will have it checked for codes tomorrow. I did have the DIC flash "CHECK GAS CAP" today. That was strange. I tightened till I heard clicks and message never came back. I'm going to rate the tires this weekend, even though they have less than 3k miles on them. The humming noise sounds like a tire problem to me.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lake Runner
Thanks Michelle.
I didn't get a CEL but I will have it checked for codes tomorrow. I did have the DIC flash "CHECK GAS CAP" today. That was strange. I tightened till I heard clicks and message never came back. I'm going to rate the tires this weekend, even though they have less than 3k miles on them. The humming noise sounds like a tire problem to me.
You might have damaged a tire in the skid. Braking hard, and cutting the wheel may have damaged a belt in the tire, or at the very least put a small flat spot on one of the tires even if the abs, and stability was working correctly. What you did may have had them working against each other. I am not sure if that is possible, but it is a thought.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Gas cap shouldn't be related to your original problem. By the way, I have it on good authority, the gas cap should be turned ONLY one click. There is no need to "spin" the cap for continual clicks. Just a tip.

If you can jack the car up and use RELIABLE support, you can put the car in gear and spin the tires. If the sound is still there it is NOT the tires. Two people for this is best.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM

I'm leaning toward a possible tire problem, as these are new Falken Azenis tires ( a new model) and I have no experience with their products. I did notice that since these were put on, the cornering and lane changing stability has been degraded. Is it these tires or the new KYBs that were just installed? The thought of a damaged belt occured to me as well.
As for the gas cap, I have always just turned the cap until it clicked. Just thought it was wierd or maybe someone was playing around with my car.
I tried running the car while on jack stands once to check a hub bearing , but the traction light came on.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:18 PM

@Lake Runner, you’re very welcome. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. Please, let me know what the resolution ends up being.

From my family to yours, we hope you have wonderful holidays.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Just an update. I had one of the tires replaced (the one that had 2 nails in it) and the noise had quieted some. But after a recent rainy drive, the noise was back and louder. It sounded just like when the driver's side hub bearing went out before.
I replaced the bearing today and took it for a test drive. No more noise!!!!
I think when I get more time , I'll replace the passenger side one as well. But for now I'm a happy camper.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM

@Lake Runner, I’m very happy to read about your update with your HHR. I hope things will remain quiet.