Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service traction and service ecs message

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Service traction and service ecs message

2011 HHR LS Panel Ok. I spent the morning googling this. Looking to verify my findings
First , with just these two messages "service traction" and "service ecs". NO other warning, Autozine or any other chain cannot pull up any codes , correct? I'll have to got service to pinpoint the problem?

Second, the car idles great, I put it in drive and accelerate slow, it's ok, I hit the gas some and it goes but sputters and sounds weird. Seem to have power still though. Is this related to my messages?
Still googling but using my phone... Painstakingly!!!
Thanks
Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 AM

Welcome to the site most auto parts stores can't read traction control fault codes. I would stop by and let them try anyway.

For some engine and trans codes the computer turns off the traction control
Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 AM

It's been my experience that the traction control service warning is a red flag to force you to get the car checked out. It turned on right before my car's original engine threw a rod and it turned on when my spark plug threads were bad and the ignition cool was about to get blown out.It also turned on when my camshaft actuator solenoid stayed going bad. It's a harbinger of bad things to happen.

By all means, get it to the dealer and checked out immediately. Bad things will happen.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by bigwillyg
It's been my experience that the traction control service warning is a red flag to force you to get the car checked out. It turned on right before my car's original engine threw a rod and it turned on when my spark plug threads were bad and the ignition cool was about to get blown out.It also turned on when my camshaft actuator solenoid stayed going bad. It's a harbinger of bad things to happen.

By all means, get it to the dealer and checked out immediately. Bad things will happen.
I did replace the cam actuator after engine light came on just about a month ago. Only Intake side and code cleared though.
I'll have to stop by GM for diagnosis l guess . Hope it can be done without dropping car off! That way I know for sure
Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cascious King

I did replace the cam actuator after engine light came on just about a month ago. Only Intake side and code cleared though.
I'll have to stop by GM for diagnosis l guess . Hope it can be done without dropping car off! That way I know for sure
Good to hear you got it taken care of. I'm paranoid about the traction light after my experiences.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:15 PM

Just a thought.
Check to see if your Traction Control switch is turned off.

That triggered the message for me after a while.

Silverfox
Old 05-08-2014, 03:04 PM

new development on esc warning

Originally Posted by Cascious King
2011 HHR LS Panel Ok. I spent the morning googling this. Looking to verify my findings
First , with just these two messages "service traction" and "service ecs". NO other warning, Autozine or any other chain cannot pull up any codes , correct? I'll have to got service to pinpoint the problem?

Second, the car idles great, I put it in drive and accelerate slow, it's ok, I hit the gas some and it goes but sputters and sounds weird. Seem to have power still though. Is this related to my messages?
Still googling but using my phone... Painstakingly!!!
Thanks
So just a bit ago a coworker tells me my brake lights are always on. He said he hadn't noticed it the past few days so it must be a new issue. I investigated a bit an narrowed the issue down to the brake light switch at the top of the pedal. looks like a piece broke off.

My question!!! Would this be my reason for getting the service traction and service esc warnings.....it seems to have both come about at the same time.

Either way, apparently they need to use a scan tool to calibrate the new switch so im going to GM no matter what.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 PM

I don't recall needing a scan tool when I changed the switch on my niece's HHR but it does have to be adjusted properly.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by cascious king
my question!!! Would this be my reason for getting the service traction and service esc warnings.....it seems to have both come about at the same time.
yes!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 PM

Yep that would be your problem with your traction control. I don't think there is any calibration when installing the brake lamp switch just an adjustment that is nothing more than pulling up on the brake pedal to set it once it's installed.