Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Shifting is what ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 01:02 AM

Shifting is what ????

Ok so! I’ll start from the beginning. First off I’m sorry if this a repeat thread I’ve been looking for hours and haven’t found what I need. So far today I have replaced the shocks and struts and also wired in some LED pods to replace fog lights that were MIA I also bought and installed LED headlights for the car. After these 4 odd hours of work me and my buddies decided to run to Taco Bell as a celebration. About a 90 min drive.

in the drive through I put my car in park and when the car in front moves I go to put in back into drive and the shifter won’t move. I instinctively turn the car off (why?? Idk) and then I’m stuck in the drive thu with a car that won’t shift out of park and won’t even turn over now. Like the car isn’t in park. After a couple min we discovered that the car wil roll as if not in park and we get our food and push it away.

Searched the fourms a lot and found how to rip apart the center console and manually move the linkage that is supposed to move when you hit the brake and get it out of park into drive. However no reverse so we got home and here is where I stand.

the car will move forward in the forward gears, however sometimes it will continue to move forward no matter where you put the shifter. The key doesn’t come out unless you shift into park, but that’s the only thing that happens then, the doors don’t u lock and the car still rolls (as if it isn’t in park). Reverse is a no go but it will go forward. Am able to start the car in neutral but not park. And like I said when you hit the brake it does not release the little linkage to get out of park. The brake lights work and the fuse is good. So I don’t know what it coild be. Any help you have is appreciated
Old 08-17-2020, 03:41 AM
geg

at first sight...
the gear selector went out of control. The connection between the selector and the transmission is broken.

What to do:
First, diagnostics by means of OBD2 device.
If there are mistakes, it's bad, the transmission is to blame. Expensive renovation.
If there are no mistakes, it is a little better. So your selector cannot give a clear command to the transmission. Home repair is possible, the problem will be revealed by visual inspection.
To be honest, I don't know how the selector interacts with the transmission in our car, but the classic scheme consists of a steel cable (s) and bushings. If so, something just worn out and weakened.

There are very experienced mechanics here on the site, I am sure that in a couple of hours they will give more specific information. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:43 AM
Administrator

There is an extended warranty on the stuck shifter problem

https://www.google.ca/search?q=HHR+s...iw=375&bih=626

and if your battery is old and borderline at 12.5 volts or less this also a problem, have the battery load tested at your local parts palace!
Old 08-17-2020, 10:54 AM

I have hooked an OBDII reader and no codes. The car is still driveable I just have no reverse and I am currently driving it as it’s my only mode of transportation. After reading some other threads it leads me to believe that the brake sensor that releases the park lock on the shifter is bad, but that wouldn’t explain everything else that’s happened. Could multiple things have gone wrong at once? Could it be due to wiring in lights pods as fog lights? I blew the fuse to the fog lights a couple times when I was doing that but I thought I checked all the other fuses after replacing? Could a relay be bad? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2020, 10:55 AM

I also know that my battery is not great, however it starts the car every time and my audio player said 14v when it’s running.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:13 AM
Administrator

What’s the voltage before starting, what’s the CCA’s
Could be more then one fuse problem and or a relay problem
Old 08-17-2020, 12:34 PM

12.5V before I start it. How would I check any relays or the brake sensor? Is this something i am going to have to wait on or can I run to Napa and fix it?
Old 08-17-2020, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Do you hear a clicking sound coming from the center console when you step on the brake?
Old 08-17-2020, 01:59 PM
Administrator

12.5 volts is just about a dead battery.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:16 PM

No clicking when I hit the brake which makes me think it’s that sensor.. but would that going bad Cause all the other problems? And I’ll charge the battery and try again but I don’tb know that would be this issue

Quick Reply: Shifting is what ????