Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Shoddy Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 PM

Shoddy Paint Job?

I own a 2011 HHR. 72K. I've owned it for about a year, since May 2015. If I have one significant complaint about my car, it's the shoddy quality of the paint job on it.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this?

The paint seems to chip off of it just by looking at it wrong. I'm the owner of touch-up paint that I bought from GM and I feel like I use it regularly. It just seems like the original paint comes off constantly. I have never before been so intrigued by a car's paint job. I have never bought touch-up paint before this car. I never needed to. I'm pretty good about exterior upkeep and wash and wax the car to keep it looking right.

An example of an issue is this: When I replace the driver's side windshield wiper, you have to lift on the wiper arm and stand it up. Like you would on any other car. On my HHR, it digs directly into the backside of the hood and I have to repaint the spot every time I change the wiper blade. There is no way around it. That is a really shoddy design flaw. If it's unique to my car, then Chevy has issues with continuity of quality.

Otherwise, it chips off on the edges of the doors pretty easily as well. Like I said, I've NEVER had to buy touch-up paint before in my life. Now, I feel like I'm applying it monthly. I plan on keeping the car for a long time. I don't need a car that will be 50% touch-up paint by the time I'm done with it.

Has anyone else noticed that their HHR has a **** paint job or an issue with the wiper arm coming up to dig into the hood when you change a blade?

Otherwise, I actually like my vehicle. I think it's a little out-of-the-ordinary (I hate how all cars look identical, from Ford to Hyundai) and people ask what mine is all the time, almost like they've never seen one before. Maybe they haven't?

These are pretty common in my area, though. It's interesting because I'm always the youngest person I've ever seen driving one. I'm a 35 year old guy. Most of the time I see men and women who appear 60+ behind the wheel. Any younger drivers on here? LOL
Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 PM

I could mention that my HHR is "Victory Red".
Old 09-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

If the wiper arm is coming in contact with the hood, the wiper is not installed properly. I doubt it is a "design flaw" else we would all be complaining about it. If you have a GM windshield there are two clear circles in the black mask at the bottom of the windshield - they are about a 1/4 inch across, with a black dot in the middle of them. The end of the wiper blade should park within the circle. If the clear little circles aren't there, it likely isn't a GM windshield. The top end of drivers wiper should rest about an inch above the bottom of the windshield (within the dot) and the passengers side should be about an inch above the far tip of the hood.

If it is out of adjustment, to blame GM for it when you don't even know if someone has replaced them previously (ie: normal maintenance or when the windshield has been replaced) seems rather excessive.

Same thing with the quality of the paint - there have been very few complaints about the quality of the paint. Chipping of paint on the edge of the door would be considered a user error - like any car, just don't bang the door against anything when opening it. To blame the quality of paint???

You are also talking about a 5 year old car - it may have been repainted here and there over the years prior to you having acquired it, and GM certainly can't be faulted in those cases.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:01 AM

When I got the windshield replaced, the wiper alignment was real pretty, but I knew something was wrong. They installed the left arm on the right and vice-verse. Couldn't even raise the driver side wiper up.

I swapped them and parked them on the marks, but the driver side was still slightly contacting the hood. I had to park the wipers above the marks. Aftermarket windshield, so I'll take Whopper's word on parking with the original GM.

Just got another new windshield, haven't checked the wipers yet. Dang rocks. I also have paint chips in the hood and front of fenders, latest ones from a bug swarm. Pretty sure the front has been repainted at some point.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:25 AM

Yes, I found out that the Chinese windshields don't have the marks like the old "real" PPG ones did. I don't think you can get a PPG windshield anymore; someone reported that they had an estimate in writing specifying PPG and got a Chinese "PPG equivalent".
Old 09-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Thinking you folks have misinterpreted the OP's post regarding the windshield wiper arm.
He's talking about when pivoting or folding the arm away from the windshield to change the blade that the arm hits the edge of the hood. Mine does the same thing(arm contacts the hood) because I pivot the arms up every time I wash my car.
I just am extra careful when doing this and haven't chipped my paint there.
Yeah, that could have been designed with a little more clearance in that area.
A little hint: If you open the hood, the drivers side wiper arm can be pivoted to the up position without hitting the hood edge. JUST MAKE SURE to pivot the arm back to the windshield before closing the hood.

As far as the paint being easy to chip. I would have to agree but I think it's because GM had to use water base paints on our HHR's.
Some governmental, tree-hugger mandated regulation or such was the reasoning.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:37 AM

You look across all forums and you will see similar complains about "thin" paint.

And I noticed on mine about the wiper issue. Never had to replace the windshield and it was align properly. Just had to be aware of it when you raised the wipers.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

FMG - I always fold the wipers up like you mention when washing the car, or cleaning the windshield when on a trip. Yeah they come close to the hood, but there is just enough clearance for it to be good.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:39 AM

After I realigned the wipers, the only chips I see are on the front of the hood and the edge of the doors.

It is probably the type of paint.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:04 PM

Has the car had any repair work that you know of. Possibly the hood is out of alignment if the car was in a accident

Quick Reply: Shoddy Paint Job?