Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Some lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 06:52 PM

Some lights don't work

I have a 2008 LS model, With the premium radio. Everything is dead stock, from what I can tell. My problem is that the Radio switch lights Only stay on for several seconds after the car is started, or the head lights are turned on or switched. Then they go dark.. If I flick the head light switch to off, or auto, they come on for a second or two, then go dark. Cant see the buttons at night. Also, am curious, does the buttons on the cruise set and resume light up. the of on indicator is lit, but the buttons are dark. ????
Old 08-31-2018, 07:14 PM

Read your Owner Manual. Link in my sig. That is normal auto dimming. When on auto or on the light sensor determines the setting of the instrument panel lights and the /headlights.

2008 models have thay cute little LED on the headliner to illuminate the console buttons.

I think the steering wheel buttons light up.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Try adjusting the dimmer switch on the waterfall
Old 09-01-2018, 04:23 PM

I have played with all the light controls, and it makes no difference. The radio control buttons come on for a second when I start up, or change the headlights, then go out and stay out.Completely dark while driving at night. Also the cruise control buttons stay dark, I have tried 4 different switch packs, and they do not light up. Seems strange
The instruments, spedo, and tach all are lit as should be, just the radio control buttons
Old 09-06-2018, 10:34 PM

Some lights don't work

I have the same situation with my 2008. The radio lights pop on when the car starts, Then go out, and stay out. Have tried all the controls, and nothing helps Also my cruise control switches are unlit, and have tries 4 different (used) switch packs
Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 PM

What is a switch pack?,
If those 2 lights are out then all of the backlit buttons should be out.

they are all grounded a G201 behiind the left end of the dash and on fuse #28 on the BCM, also might be the dimmer switch or the ambient light sensor.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:10 PM

What I mean by switch pack, is the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel, next to the air bag. the one button is off on, with a single led, THAT led works then there is a resume, a set button, and 2 other Function buttons. I have had that whole switch Assembly out, and replaced it with spares. No lights in the buttons. Because this is a used car, I don't know if they are Suppose to light up or not, just seems like they should.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:27 PM

Do they come on when the headlights come on? Do the headlight automatically come on?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:30 PM

The radio lights come on when the car is first started, and when the headlights are turned on, but they go out within a second, and stay dark.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:15 AM

Do you understand auto headlights and the difference between DRL and headlights?

Does the HVAC backlight work? Does the flood light work (the little light in the headliner near the mirror.)?

Do the headlights automatically turn on? Is anything covering the light sensor?

Quick Reply: Some lights don't work