Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

spark testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:14 AM

spark testing

I have 2009 Lt 2.2 auto i am having trouble with a miss that causing surging or rough idle

question when pulling the boot of the spark plugs i lay the boot with the coil still attached it spark with nothing attached it will shock me just by laying it to the valve cover
next with some insulated pliers any time i get near a ground it throws spark never out the end like normal
do you recommend REPLACING the whole coil pack (4) it does seem the throw spark out of all four spark plugs boots
i hope i called it right normal conditions it does throw spark out the sides
this is one at a time
Old 02-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Myself I’d clean and regrease the coil boots, inspect for any cracks or spiderweb lines in the coils themselves.
if that doesn’t correct the problem, 4 new coils , we get a discount from RockAuto!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

From my experience, if the coil(s) is working properly, the spark will jump across the path of least resistance. Sometimes that is thru the boot, and sometimes through the ignition wire themselves (or your hand - LOL).
Moisture will make it easier for that to happen. I believe what you are seeing is pretty much normal - I've seen it time and time again with cars and motorcycles.

So as Oldblue says, clean everything up, and if it was me, I'd shoot some WD40 at the boots and wires as you put everything back together and give that a try.

Are you getting a Check engine light? If so, what is the code.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:52 PM
Administrator

I use dielectric grease, WD 40 is a lot of water , so I don’t use it on electrical components
Old 02-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

"WD40 is a lot of water"? Where the heck did you ever get that from?
It actually is an awesome water dispersant - and hence the name WD standing for Water Displacement. If it contained a lot of water like you say, you got to ask does water displace water?

I've used it on various vehicles to water-proof the ignition wires and components - including when everything is arcing all over the place due to being water-soaked. It works like a charm. On the motorcycles I always carry a small can of it as their ignition wires etc, are in the wind so to speak, and I have had to use it on a few occasions. It has always worked like a charm, but it is NOT a long-term solution for waterproofing.

Dielectric grease works well to lubricate rubber as well as insulate it to prevent arcing, and is a better long-term product in that sense than WD40.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

I know that on aircraft WD-40 is a no-no as a lubricant as it will freeze and is water based. Does water repel water? With the additives WD-40 has, it does.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:46 AM
Administrator

I don’t use it, and the dielectric grease is a longer lasting solution.
I suppose it was years ago , one of the club members who worked at DeHiviland aircraft , said we don’t use this on planes.
I haven’t really looked into it’s formula

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

I have used the rust penetrating spray.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Correct - WD-40 is NOT a lubricant just as the manufacturer states. Funny how it was developed for the Atlas missile and then then used by various airlines (and not as a lubricant).

You say it freezes? Well, I guess I must have been very lucky that the locks didn't freeze up after using it to flush out the lock mechanisms.

ahhhh here is the MDS sheet for WD-40 - https://www.wd40company.com/files/pd...ec16952473.pdf
There they do say it is a lubricant??? Which is stated otherwise on one of their pages. I believe they might be referring to it being a lubricant for what one might consider light-duty lubrication???

Freeze Point/Pour Point: -63˚ C ( -81.4˚ F)( ASTM D-97) (from the MDS sheet)
They also state that it should not be used on various items, which might be why certain places such as an aircraft manufacturer might restrict it's usage: "Certain types of rubber will swell upon prolonged immersion. Wax polishes and certain wax coatings may be softened by WD40. Clear polycarbonate and polystyrene may stress craze or crack"