Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

SS gets hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

BlackSS200k - why have you posted on this thread instead of the 5 page one you are already documenting things in? I am not merging them yet again.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:17 AM
Banned

New day, tried the burping again. The car will run all day long cap off, no bubbles nothing. Can’t even get the lower hose warm. The gauge reads 201, no room for coolant nothing. Fan comes on at low speed. Turn the heater selector to hot and just after a minute coolant boils out the filler neck. I don’t know how the heater can short circuit the thermostat? Could that be happening? The heater is blowing hot? I’m stumped! Usually I’m pretty good at figuring this stuff out but not this time. Can the thermostat be put in backwards? Again I’m stumped, I wish I were more familiar with exactly how this cooling system works. If there is air in there, I’m not having any luck getting it out.

Whooper,
I replaced the turbo because it went out at 214k, the old engine was like an air pump into the coolant, I don’t even know how it ran so well with so much air being pumped in the cooling system and loss of compression. Hydrocarbons were in the coolant and overflow tank. I did experiment with thermostats for the heck of it. I had a suspicion I was sold an incorrect part. If the heater core were clogged it wouldn’t blow hot air. As an experiment I did ad some head gasket stop leak for the heck of it when my new engine was on its way. I have rebuilt many o cars, and been turning wrench’s most of my life. As I grow older 49 and have a little more money in my pocket I hire out work from time to time when it interferes with my weekend.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

BlackSS200k - once again you have posted a couple of entries into a totally unrelated thread.

At this point, if you still have concerns over an overheating issue it is time you take your HHR into a shop for a proper diagnosis.
The cooling system is VERY VERY simple for the HHR - and we have offered a mess of suggestions and advice for you, and we have gotten no where at all. You often do not follow the advice or answer questions that asked of you to help diagnose the issues.

So tis time to close this thread - we can't help you further.

I can't believe you have replaced the turbo, water pump, 3 thermostats, timing chain, pump chain, radiator, fan then replaced the whole engine - most of it over a cooling issue?

Last tip for you: reread Don's post # 48.