Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Starter stays engaged

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 06:58 PM

Starter stays engaged

Hi everyone need help. 2009 HHR 2LT had the ignition replacement on the recall also the electric motor on the steering. Now after the car sets for an extended period, when I turn the key to start position the starter stays engaged for a few seconds. It does not grind but you can hear that its stuck in the flywheel. The car is at the dealer now and they say they can't duplicate the issue. This only happens once after it sets. It never did this before with the original ignition. Anyone have any ideas? I think it's a bad ignition dealer says no... any thoughts?
Old 07-02-2016, 07:19 PM

to the forums JOHNNYO! It would help us if you could be more specific , what exactly are you experiencing? Stays engaged after the engine starts? If I understand what you are saying, I would say you need a new starter.

Also, which engine, transmission, how many miles might be useful information.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:56 PM

2009 HHR 2.4 ENGINE. when you turn the key to start and release the key. The starter stays engaged for a second or two. Only does this once until it sets for hours. The rest of the time normal starting.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Deceased

Sounds like the Bendix Drive on the starter motor is failing, keeping the starter from disengaging, so the engine is "motoring" the starter.

It could be a bad starter solenoid causing it to hang up, a trip to a automotive electrical shop or a trusted mechanic will give you a definitive diagnosis.

P.S. aboard!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:22 PM

Do you know that the right way to start is to momentarily turn the key to start and immediately let go of the key? The starter will stay on until either the motor starts or the starter times out. If you hold the key in the start position the starter will run until you let go of the key.

Is that what's going on?.

If you are not holding the key, maybe the new ignition is binding an keeping the key in start.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:58 PM

Now I'm gonna sound dumb here but you can really just click the key into the start position and let go and the car will turn over? My cars have never taken a long time to start maybe a second but I always held the key forward until the motor kicked over.... So you don't have to do that?
Old 07-02-2016, 10:44 PM

This issue started after the new ignition switch was installed. I think it's a bad switch. Only does it once after sitting all night. After the first run on, or sticking, starter works fine. When it sets for a long time, first crank sticks, all after that cranks and starts fine. That's what's so strange about this.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:59 PM

So you're saying that the key is sticking in the start position for a bit?
Old 07-03-2016, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
My cars have never taken a long time to start maybe a second but I always held the key forward until the motor kicked over.... So you don't have to do that?
Correct! Just hit it and let go, it will stop upon start or time-out. The computer controls the relay, the key tells the computer to start the engine.

I moved this thread from the recall campaign section.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, please keep us posted what the dealer figures out in Tuesday! I'm tending to think it's the ignition switch binding.

Quick Reply: Starter stays engaged