Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 AM

Exclamation Starting problems

I have a 2006 LS she runs great except when I get gas. If I fill the car, when I go to start it, it kicks back and doesn't start. However if I don't fill it no problem and no problems after the initial start. Anyone have this happen etc? Please advise.

thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by nycamper
I have a 2006 LS she runs great except when I get gas. If I fill the car, when I go to start it, it kicks back and doesn't start. However if I don't fill it no problem and no problems after the initial start. Anyone have this happen etc? Please advise.

thanks
Hey nycamper,

I apologize for this puzzling concern. If you ever want to consider having the dealership look into this for you, don't hesitate to reach out to me in a private message with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and a preferred dealership.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

nycamper - sounds like an issue with the tanks evaporative system - can you elaborate on what you mean by "kicks back"? Are you continuing to add more gas after the pump shuts off automatically by any chance? If so, than can cause problems for some HRRs.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM

The dealerships around here are way too expensive. It is a 2006 with 179,000 miles on it. Was only hoping that others might have had this happen to them as well. Just very puzzling.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
nycamper - sounds like an issue with the tanks evaporative system - can you elaborate on what you mean by "kicks back"? Are you continuing to add more gas after the pump shuts off automatically by any chance? If so, than can cause problems for some HRRs.

No I no longer fill after the pump shuts off. Kick back as in I start it and it almost starts but then it doesn't and just kicks back to dash lights being on but car isn't running, after a few tries it finally will start. I have replaced the gas cap and that helped some but not completely.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 AM

My bet is the EVAP vent valve. The one near the tank.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
My bet is the EVAP vent valve. The one near the tank.
in the tank or near it? easy to change or not? really appreciate the help.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 AM

I changed mine out a few years ago because it was leaking and set a code.

Its near the tank by the rear axle.

If I recall correctly, you don't even need any tools to replace it. It slides out after releasing a tab and you need to take an electrical conector off.

The part was even reasonable at the dealer, under $30 I think.

Steve
Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
I changed mine out a few years ago because it was leaking and set a code.

Its near the tank by the rear axle.

If I recall correctly, you don't even need any tools to replace it. It slides out after releasing a tab and you need to take an electrical conector off.

The part was even reasonable at the dealer, under $30 I think.

Steve
Great that sounds like something I could change no problem. Any other thoughts that I could be something else? It hasn't thrown any codes for it to indicate it.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:16 PM

Mine threw a code because it had a crack in it and leaked. The emission system does a leak test every so often and flags a slow leak or a fast leak.

If it was stuck closed, I don't know if it would give any error codes. I think the most likely scenario for your case would be the solenoid stuck closed, not allowing the vapors to vent, causing a pressure buildup in the fuel system.

I agree with the others that this is a likely possibility in your case. It's worth it to spend the $30 and try it first.

Steve

Quick Reply: Starting problems