Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Starts with rough idle then revs up

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 01:45 PM

OK. To answer some questions...there is no check engine or any other light being displayed. Engine seems to run fine in all other regards like cruising around town or on the highway after the initial problems at start-up. I have already disconnected the battery ground terminal so that horse is out of the barn. Will need to drive some after this to get any codes to come up but that's OK. If I still have the issue I will look for vacuum leak. Can I use the MAF cleaning spray for that instead of brake cleaner? Thanks for all the help thus far :) Will see if I can determine age of the battery.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:04 PM

Dirty throttle body? Use TB cleaner NOT carb cleaner.
Is there a clicking when it starts?
Old 04-10-2020, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Dirty throttle body? Use TB cleaner NOT carb cleaner.
Is there a clicking when it starts?
TB (Throttle Body cleaner)
Good point Don along with the noise.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:55 PM

No clicking like low battery or like timing chain? Anyhow, no clicking when starting or running that I can tell. Can't determine age of battery but am taking the opportunity to put my smart charger on the battery while its disconnected just to top it up. On the topic of TB cleaner...I was under the impression and had read somewhere that MAF cleaner would be OK for use as TB cleaner and it seemed to do the job just fine. I know you can't do the other way around and use TB cleaner on the MAF. I don't have any TB cleaner at hand and am guessing MAF cleaner would work to track a vacuum leak also?
Old 04-10-2020, 06:33 PM

Well...first indication after reconnecting the battery is that it has not cleared the problem. First start was stumbling idle for about 30-45 seconds then rpm increased to 2000 and then idled down to about 1000 smooth. Will drive it for a while then see if my local AutoZone has a code read service. Will report back the outcome.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:59 PM

Batteries usually(not always) have a sticker indicating month and year of manufacture. Usually on a side, not the top. Is it an ACDelco group 90?
Old 04-10-2020, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Just to be perfectly clear, clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner, never brake parts cleaner, and use MAF sensor save in the MAF, never brake cleaner or throttle body or carburetor cleaner spray.
As you have stated the battery lobotomy didn’t remedy the idle, so possibly it will relearn but most likely the throttle plate is open just a touch to much , which you could try another cleaning, again do not manually move the throttle plate.
And as you said look for that possibility of a vacuum leak, at the base of the throttle body to the intake manifold.

This is a handy kit specifically for this application, I bought mine at WallyMart and I’ve seen it at some parts palaces.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by skysailor
Well...first indication after reconnecting the battery is that it has not cleared the problem. First start was stumbling idle for about 30-45 seconds then rpm increased to 2000 and then idled down to about 1000 smooth. Will drive it for a while then see if my local AutoZone has a code read service. Will report back the outcome.
Have you changed the spark plugs? I had a neon do something similar when the plugs were about shot?
I plan to change mine since I have no clue if it was maintained well, had it 4 days now and I think it should have a little more power to get up n goooo, could be plugs then again a clogged cat. Cars with all this electronic stuff ( which really isn't needed ) are headaches sometimes.
If the MAF cleaner is flammable it should work to find leaks, just be careful with a hot engine and around exhaust especially. I usually do it with a cold engine so less chance and keep an extinguisher handy just in case.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:04 AM

Mass Air Flow Cleaner is for electronics.
Throttle Body Cleaner is not.
If you were to use TB cleaner on the MAF sensor it would leave a residue on the wire in it that gets heated and will burn up that wire.
So yes MAF cleaner only on the MAF sensor.
You can use MAF cleaner on your TB also and it won't hurt a thing.
I don't see any harm using electrical contact cleaner also.
Read the description of this product. Leaves no residue like MAF cleaner.
https://www.wd40.com/products/contac...RoCsYwQAvD_BwE
Old 04-11-2020, 07:42 AM
Administrator

But for liability purposes we only recommend MAF cleaner for the MAF sensor.
Throttle body cleaner for the throttle body.

Quick Reply: Starts with rough idle then revs up