Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering Column Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 PM

Steering Column Noise

Hello fellow SS owners. So i pulled out of the drive way the other morning and I was getting this terrible cluncking sound from the front end when I turned the wheel. Of course I freaked out cause this is the last thing you want to hear in the morning. I assumed it was a tie rod end or a control arm bushing or something along those lines. I took it in to the local Chevy dealership and they said everything in the front was perfect and that Chevy put out a bulletin about the steering columns and steering racks making the noise. Apparently not a safety issue and just an annoyance. Has anyone else heard of this or had this problem???
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

my dealership said the same thing but it was for the cobalts but since its prety much the same car they did it for my HHR...it fixed most of the clunking sounds but they are still there...even hear this click/clunk sound when not moving but just moving the steering wheel, it has so much play in it still so replacing it didnt really help me
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by JJfly
Hello fellow SS owners. So i pulled out of the drive way the other morning and I was getting this terrible cluncking sound from the front end when I turned the wheel. Of course I freaked out cause this is the last thing you want to hear in the morning. I assumed it was a tie rod end or a control arm bushing or something along those lines. I took it in to the local Chevy dealership and they said everything in the front was perfect and that Chevy put out a bulletin about the steering columns and steering racks making the noise. Apparently not a safety issue and just an annoyance. Has anyone else heard of this or had this problem???
Take it in and have them diagnose it as there are several TSB on all kinds of front end noises and a different proceedures to determine which issue is your problem.

My Dealer printed out all the bulletins for me to read and I was surprised by what I read.

They have to test drive the car and go from there to do any warranty repairs. You can't just tell them what you think and have them replace that part.

SF
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Take it in and have them diagnose it as there are several TSB on all kinds of front end noises and a different proceedures to determine which issue is your problem.

My Dealer printed out all the bulletins for me to read and I was surprised by what I read.

They have to test drive the car and go from there to do any warranty repairs. You can't just tell them what you think and have them replace that part.

SF
That's exactly what they did. They charged me 100$ for a complete diagnosis and they said everything was g2g. I haven't had any noise since. Since i'm past warranty and it drives perfect i'm just gonna let it go. Hopefully i'll never hear it again.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by JJfly
That's exactly what they did. They charged me 100$ for a complete diagnosis and they said everything was g2g. I haven't had any noise since. Since i'm past warranty and it drives perfect i'm just gonna let it go. Hopefully i'll never hear it again.
Be sure to keep all related paperwork from the dealer including a record of your payment showing you have paid for this visit.
Front end issues have a nasty way of comming back to haunt you.

SF