Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering hanging up

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 07:07 PM

Steering hanging up

Hey everybody, I’ve read a ton of forums and I need some help trying to narrow down an issue. I got an oil change 3 days ago and since then I’ve noticed the steering is getting hung up when I try and turn. At slow speeds or when backing out of a parking lot, the steering can kind of bind up on me but it seems like if I go back a little bit further it’ll get itself over that hump and let me turn the wheel. At higher speeds it will still tense up but still turn enough to get around so long as I take it somewhat slow and widen my turn. It’s intermittent but I’m worried not knowing exactly what the problem is. I’ve read threads about the rack and pinion, EPS motor, and intermediate steering shaft. I do have a rattle when I brake in a straight line but that hasn’t had any effect on the car’s performance. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Old 10-22-2020, 07:10 PM

I did just get confirmation that the EPS motor was changed 6 years ago, but the cars got upwards of 50,000 miles since then. Within the past year I’ve changed all inner and outer tie rods, stabilizer links, and control arms that were starting to show signs of wear.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:17 AM

Have you looked at the front strut top mounts? If the bearings are dried out, or compromised, they can bind up a bit like you describe.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Have you looked at the front strut top mounts? If the bearings are dried out, or compromised, they can bind up a bit like you describe.
Haven’t yet, but will this afternoon. They were replaced within the last 4-5 years or so I was told. I’ll definitely take a look. Never thought that would affect the steering like that. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-23-2020, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Could be the upper front coil spring plate !
could be a ball joint.

It could be the intermediate steering shaft.
It could be the steering rack is worn
Old 10-23-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Could be the upper front coil spring plate !
could be a ball joint.

It could be the intermediate steering shaft.
It could be the steering rack is worn
found out today that the inner tie rod boot ripped up. Gonna replace, hope rack isn’t SOL
Old 10-24-2020, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Depending on how much water and grit got in there and how long the boot SS been ripped, change the rack.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:19 AM

Depending on how much water and grit got in there and how long the boot SS been ripped, change the rack.
It’s been right around a week. It’s on the passenger side right where my ac compressor drips so there’s no telling. Right now I’m looking at just changing the entire rack. But somebody told me you could grease these racks, like it had grease points? Is that true? I don’t think it is, I just want to make sure.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Administrator

No there is no grease fitting, you clean out all the old grease and slop in new grease.
easier and cleaner to replace the steering rack.
Don’t forget the discount code from RockAuto!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/www....ad.php?t=58948
Old 10-24-2020, 05:18 PM

No there is no grease fitting, you clean out all the old grease and slop in new grease.
easier and cleaner to replace the steering rack.
Don’t forget the discount code from RockAuto!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/www....ad.php?t=58948
oh there’s a code?! Thanks for the link those pictures help a ton

Quick Reply: Steering hanging up