Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering Wheel Rubbing Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:34 PM

Steering Wheel Rubbing Sound?

Whelp I'm about to take the ol HHR in for one of my window switches which decided to take a ****, one of the things I'm going to ask them to look at is my Steering wheel but being as its so sporadic I've a feeling they wont be able to find anything.

The thing is randomly when I go to turn right it sounds like its making a rubbing noise somewhere in the dash area and it continues as the wheel turns back to straight. Only on right turns never on left and its not consistent to boot, any suggestions as to what it might be?
Old 08-28-2006, 03:52 PM

Can't say that I've heard anything like that with my HHR. I hate things that are sporadic like that...dealer thinks you're nuts sometimes. Have you been able to put it on ramps or a hoist to look underneath and see if something from the road may have lodged itself under the car on that side? Would venture to guess that dealer may be the only option...maybe they've heard of this before on other GM products. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned

You said ****!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:19 PM

Mine does it too.

It sounds like the steering wheel is to close to the dash and they rub together a little. Mine does it turning both directions. I forgot to ask the dealer about it when I had it in for service. Maybe I should shoot some lubricant of some kind in ther but I don't want a mess in my HHR.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by fallenSaint
Whelp I'm about to take the ol HHR in for one of my window switches which decided to take a ****, one of the things I'm going to ask them to look at is my Steering wheel but being as its so sporadic I've a feeling they wont be able to find anything.

The thing is randomly when I go to turn right it sounds like its making a rubbing noise somewhere in the dash area and it continues as the wheel turns back to straight. Only on right turns never on left and its not consistent to boot, any suggestions as to what it might be?
Hope this may help. I put mine in for the clunck but reading the TSB id did mention something about a rubbing sound and I think it said that it was normal. I would advise you to read the Clunk TSB and see if maybe that is what you are talking about.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:00 PM

no TSB for a rub in steering, im on dealerworld right now.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:38 PM

The HHR has electric rack and pinion steering, but is it connected in a similar manner that a hydraulic rack and pinion would be?

I had a similar rubbing sound with my car, and it was the power steering rack that was failing.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:24 AM

Looks like I'm getting it in next weekend hopefully they can give me a answer rather than WD40 I figure its just rubbing but with it being one direction Im slightly worried mechanical parts are not working properly and I don't want to be on the highway doing 80 when they decide to prove it.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Deceased

I just got off the phone w Cliff in Wichita Falls who was at our run and he told us he had a squeek when he turned his steering wheel a certain way. i think it was when he turned it to the right.

anyway before he tood it to the dealer he unloosed the steering wheel lock, move the wheel up and down full motion several times. reset it to the place he wanted his wheel at and he now says there is no problem.

i told him that i would post for him.