Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Strange Noise When I Reach 20 MPH Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:27 PM

Question Strange Noise When I Reach 20 MPH Speeds

I'm a guy that isn't very knowledgeable with cars, but this website has helped me fix every issue that I've had with this car, here is a new one.

Four days ago I started noticing a strange noise when I reach 20 MPH speed, its weird because that noise comes out as I hit 20 MPH exactly...The noise seems to be coming from the front left side of the hood/wheel, not sure if its something in the hood or the wheel. Of course the faster I accelerate the louder and more noticeable the nose gets.

About the noise: The only way I can describe this noise is as if a sewing needle is being shoved against the blades of a working air fan, then the faster I go it sounds like a plastic straw shoved in an air fan. Another way to describe the noise its like a BUZZING noise.

What I've Inspected So Far: so yesterday I took a look at the front left wheel, unmounted and looked at the disc, again, I am guy that doesnt have the most knowledge in cars, so to my eye nothing looked out of normal, but I rotated the tires just to see if that solves the problem, and it hasnt. I looked under the hood if anything is leaking, smells, or out of place, and everything looked fine there as well. I checked my fans to see if anything was touching them, they also looked just fine

Important to note: Performance wise my car is the same, when its idling its nothing out of the ordinary, when accelerating it is also nothing out of the ordinary, and when shifting as well, so that right there is what makes me thing its something that has to do with the wheel. Heat/AC works just fine.

So what this could noise be? Has anyone here experience a strange noise that comes out when you accelerate over 20 MPH? Please help me and keep the Chevy HHR Network streak going for me, my brothers are envious their cars doesnt have a supportive community like this for their car models
Old 05-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

First thing that comes to mind is an exhaust leak. I would suggest specifically at the flex joint of the down pipe since most of this type of problem comes from that area.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
First thing that comes to mind is an exhaust leak. I would suggest specifically at the flex joint of the down pipe since most of this type of problem comes from that area.
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion Snoopy. Exhaust Leak? Even though the buzzing sound seems to be coming from the front left side of the car? So I shouldn't even bother with the wheel bearings?
Old 05-20-2015, 07:47 PM

To check for an exhaust leak, have someone stand near the engine with the hood up and engine running at idle in park. Take a rag rolled into a ball and hold it firmly against the tail pipe, this will cause a minor leak to be amplified at the leak.

IMO it sounds like you have a wheel bearing on its way, I have changed 4 on 2 HHR's and it is a common issue. Sadly they are not very easy to diagnose for the average Joe, as they will not produce the groan or buzzing if you jack the wheels up. The wheels needs to be under load and most of us don't have a dyno to simulate this. Even after taking them out, I questioned if this was my issue, until I drove it and it was whisper quiet.

I may be incorrect with my diagnoses, being I can only go on what I've read, so be aware the info I'm offering is only my personal opinion and may not be 100% accurate.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by taz3
To check for an exhaust leak, have someone stand near the engine with the hood up and engine running at idle in park. Take a rag rolled into a ball and hold it firmly against the tail pipe, this will cause a minor leak to be amplified at the leak.

IMO it sounds like you have a wheel bearing on its way, I have changed 4 on 2 HHR's and it is a common issue. Sadly they are not very easy to diagnose for the average Joe, as they will not produce the groan or buzzing if you jack the wheels up. The wheels needs to be under load and most of us don't have a dyno to simulate this. Even after taking them out, I questioned if this was my issue, until I drove it and it was whisper quiet.

I may be incorrect with my diagnoses, being I can only go on what I've read, so be aware the info I'm offering is only my personal opinion and may not be 100% accurate.
Taz3:
Of course this is only an opinion of yours, an opinion i appreciate a lot. To be honest with you I'd go with a wheel bearing issue first, I am going to go with my guy feeling and try that. checked couple of posts and video about changing it, it seems like an easy job, just the 3 bolts on the inside seem like a pain in the a**, but should be doable for me. If it's not the wheel bearings, well, at least I have new wheel bearings lol
Old 05-20-2015, 07:56 PM

I appreciate every opinion, and suggestions you guys have for me, please keep them coming.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Administrator

My suspicion is the flex pipe. Mine started to make a noise as you describe at 20 to 25 mph!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:35 PM

Many times if it's a hub it will make a difference in the noise if you turn left or right.

Many times you can hear a funky noise when you drive next to a curb if it's the flex pipe.

"seems to be coming from" really doesn't mean much; since you are sitting behind and to one side and above any of the suspects.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
My suspicion is the flex pipe. Mine started to make a noise as you describe at 20 to 25 mph!
Hello and thanks for your suggestion. I was reading somewhere on this site and on another site that a wheel bearing would only make noise of you were going straight, not when you turn left or right, I noticed that when I turn left no noise, when I turn right, slight noise. I'm really torn between Wheel Bearings and a Flex Pipe now, I know flex pipe would need some welding, something I don't have.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Many times if it's a hub it will make a difference in the noise if you turn left or right.

Many times you can hear a funky noise when you drive next to a curb if it's the flex pipe.

"seems to be coming from" really doesn't mean much; since you are sitting behind and to one side and above any of the suspects.
DonBrew, thanks for your reply, you're right about 'seem to be coming from', only reason I took a guess on the front left side because I had someone ride with me to see if they also agreed that the noise was only coming from the front left side.

Let me ask you something though, is a Hub the same as a Wheel bearings? or are they two different things when its comes to the HHR?

Quick Reply: Strange Noise When I Reach 20 MPH Speeds