Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Strange problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 AM

Strange problems

Hi All,

2006 HHR engine swap. After the swap I'm having some really weird issues.

When the car first started all of the information items in the DIC appeared to be OK but when I tried to drive the car I got a Power Steering error but the steering is OK and then all of the readings in the DIC went to dashes except for the coolant temp. Also, the speedometer does not work. When I drive the car the engine appears to to run OK with good power. When the transmission shifts the engine power drops for a few seconds and then picks up again to normal levels.

All of the connectors have been checked and the speed sensor was changed to attempt to fix the speedometer problem. I have also seen one instance of Engine Power Reduced. If I disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes the DIC is again is normal until I try to drive the car and get the Power Steering error.

Any idea or thought will be appreciated,

Coy
Old 04-22-2012, 08:17 AM

I had a similar problem with an 06 Highlander when I swapped the tranny. It ended up being a ground wire had come loose. Not a main one but a redundant 16ga wire.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Deceased

to the forum Coy, always nice to have another Carolinian here!

A couple thoughts.....

Is the engine also out of a 2006, because there are comparability differences between the '06's and the following model years.

I'm seeing that you speedometer is "brain dead" so you need to take it in for a reprogramming at your Chevy dealer. Without doing re-flash of the vehicle's system, the BCM or ECM may be having trouble "hearing" or "understanding" the sensor signals from the new engine.

If a re-flash/reprogramming doesn't cure everything. Check all the underhood fuses and relays to make sure they are not loose, and check to make sure the fuse box itself hasn't been knocked loose in the engine swap, loose fuses or a loose box can give you all sorts of odd symptoms.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

843de - that was my thought - along with the TCM, as the transmission is affected a well. A total reflash would probably be a good first step - and would start it out with a clean slate. A reflash, if it doesn't "take" might also pinpoint the source(s) of the problem?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Deceased

Exactly, these critters just don't like having major components changed without addressing the programming, and an engine is certainly a major component.

And I sure hope he matched the model year of the engine to the vehicle, there are enough subtle, and not so subtle, difference between the '06's and subsequent years that it might have him changing out modules too.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 PM

Strange Problems

Thanks to all, Long story short this is the 4th engine we have tried. The first one was a 2.4, Second and third overheated. All of those ran ok and drove ok except for the overheating. The fourth did not have the same thermostat setup and Im not sure what it came from. What on the engine could screwup the computers? Sensors on the engine are water temp, knock, crank and oil pressure and of course emissions.

Coy
Old 04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Man o' man, - 4 engines tried? Is the CEL light on? If so did you get a code read yet?

Too many variables to make any sort of reasonable guess as to what might be causing the problems - voltage spike to computers, pinched wiring somewhere, bad connector, bad or mismatched sensor for the comps., reflash needed.

If you are not getting any CEL light (?????), all the connectors seem ok (no broken or pushed in contacts) and you are sure no wiring was pinched in the removals/installs, I'd still follow 843de's suggestion about getting everything reflashed.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Deceased

Coy there's an engine ID tag on the end of the valve cover, and a partial VIN stamped into the engine oil filter can, post them up here and we might be able to tell you what model year engine it is.

If its the engine out of an '08 for example, you're going to have to deal with some major differences as far as signal outputs and even the terminals used on the ECM for the inputs and outputs.

Its really important to match the engine to the vehicle by model year to avoid huge headaches, the '06 models are different from the '07's and '08's, the '09-'11's are even more different.

And if that engine is out of a Cobalt or something, you may really have an uphill battle on your hands.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 PM

Strange Problem

Sorry for the delay in getting these numbers back to you. The numbers on the valve cover are:

10TM5T410290862

It had the letters TM5 vertically and under the long number above it had in small numbers 12575816

I did not see a number on the oiil filter can. I have another 2006 HHR and it has the numbers but the other motor does not.

Coy
Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Deceased

Engine Number 10TM5T410290862

OK Coy, let me break this down for you.

10 - Part Designation

TM5 - Broadcast Code

T - Tonawanda NY Engine Assembly Plant

4 - Year of Manufacture 2004

10 - Month of Manufacture October

29 - 29TH Day of Month

0862 - Engine Sequence Number

Its the wrong year engine, not even from an HHR as they weren't being manufactured at that point.

I'd call the people you got it from and let them know that while it might be an Ecotec 2.4 engine, its not from an HHR and they owe you another one.

Quick Reply: Strange problems