Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Strange sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:23 PM

Question Strange sound

This might sound kinda goofy but havew any of you folks ever noticed a wierd sound when you have the back windows down only? To me it seems like a low sound or vibration that is coming from air pressure in the car or something. Am I cracking up or what??
Old 05-17-2006, 07:26 PM

it sounds like a helicopter..I know what you mean..
Old 05-17-2006, 07:30 PM

Not sure what it is....but I have noticed a number of newer cars doing it...

you can lower either of the fronts a little (or open sunroof) and noise ususally goes away
Old 05-17-2006, 07:33 PM

Its the air pressure fluctuating inside the car as the air blows by
Old 05-17-2006, 08:25 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Skatetheglobe
it sounds like a helicopter..I know what you mean..
yep that's it! I'm glad someone else noticed it too. I have had a lot of cars and trucks over the years and I have never experienced anything like this. At first I couldn't figure it out and quickly found out if I lowered the front window it went away. It was just so strange I wondered if anyone else had experienced it also.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by killjoy
It was just so strange I wondered if anyone else had experienced it also.
Every single HHR owner. It was funny, when I took my first test drive the salesman was talking to me about how quiet the HHR is and giving me the whole quiet steel speech when he decided to roll down a window. He hit one of the back windows and the air buffeting kicked in so bad I couldn't even hear him. He quickly rolled the window back up and showed off how well the air conditioning worked. I had to chuckle to myself.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:39 PM

I traded in an Xterra on my HHR - it did the exact same noise when you rolled down the rear window. When I rolled down the HHR rear window I felt right at home.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 PM

As of yet, I haven't had the back windows down on mine.
I'll have to try this tonight on my way home.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:43 PM

Yeah, mine has the air buffeting thing going on also, but then again most of the cars I've driven over the past several years do this if the condition's right. You can usually make it go away by cracking open another window. But on the HHR it still does it more than other cars I've owned. Early cars with a "Wing Window's" didn't do this because the wing window broke up the air flow. They may not have been very aerodynamic back them, but at least it didn't do the buffeting thing....LOL

Not that the HHR is any more aerodynamic than let's say.....a BB...
Old 05-17-2006, 11:10 PM

Yeah, my Corvairs never did the air buffeting thing, but a lot of the newer cars I have driven do. Still drive Corvairs too, but not doing the daily driver thing as I did for years.
I drove older cars until 1989 when I got my first new car at age 28, a Ford Taurus SHO! IT did 150 MPH from the factory and handled like it was on rails. Had that car for 12 years, and no air buffeting.

Got a GMC Safari van and a Plymouth Voyager. Neither had the dreaded helicopter sound, likely because they had no back windows that opened in the traditional way.
Then our Saturn L300 Wagon gave me the best , most deafening rear window down serenade I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing!

The Vibe we just traded played an artillery opera as well when the rear windows went down.

Our HHR also excels in this area, but the loudest we have owned was the Saturn Wagon.
I'm guessing that the wing widows of old may have helped alleviate some of the potential for this air anomaly, but my Taurus had no such problem.
I guess modern designs are just this way by accident. Surely this is not an undisclosed "feature"?

Quick Reply: Strange sound