Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

suspension damage help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:50 AM

Unhappy suspension damage help

Hi, very new to this forum. I just recently wrecked my car on some ice and need some tips on where to start repairing it.
Took it to my mechanic to have it looked over and they claim i need
  • sway bar links/ bushings
  • right front axle shaft bent
  • right front lower control arm and left front lower control arm bent
  • right front strut
  • right front spindle

they also listed an alignment, brake pads/rotors, and tires. I'd like to fix this my self, but i'm not much of a mechanic. Is there anywhere I need to start first because I'm going to be doing this little by little. Are there certain brand name parts to get? special tools? should i have just left this up to the professional? or is it too far gone to be repaired?
Any information helps.
Thanks.

Last edited by 843de; 01-25-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Changed "break" to "brake"...just one of those things that causes me to go goofy
Old 01-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Posting the year, model and condition would help us tell you if it's worth repairing.
If you're "not much of a mechanic" as you stated, it's best left up to a pro. That list you showed is just what they can see. Once the work starts, there will be more parts found that need replacement.
You also said you took it to your mechanic. How ? Sure hope you didn't drive it there with that many damaged parts. I would advise getting a collision repair shop to look at it. That's what they do and see every day.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Posting the year, model and condition would help us tell you if it's worth repairing.
If you're "not much of a mechanic" as you stated, it's best left up to a pro. That list you showed is just what they can see. Once the work starts, there will be more parts found that need replacement.
You also said you took it to your mechanic. How ? Sure hope you didn't drive it there with that many damaged parts. I would advise getting a collision repair shop to look at it. That's what they do and see every day.
2008 hhr 2.2l. It was in a decent condition before hand, although I do believe it was in an accident before I purchased it. Only 123443 miles on it. I had my car towed to the mechanic.
And honestly I want to try and start learning how to fix my own vehicles, I know bits and pieces but the best way to learn is hands on.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

x2 what Firemangeorge said. That is some major mechanical damage there. That isn't a project to start learning how to do your own repairs on.

What kind of $'s did they estimate at the first shop?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
x2 what Firemangeorge said. That is some major mechanical damage there. That isn't a project to start learning how to do your own repairs on.

What kind of $'s did they estimate at the first shop?
About 2400 but that was only to make it drivable again. So it doesn't include brakes/rotors, tires, or alignment from my understanding.

my friends did say they could help me with the sway bar and control arms. Could I possibly have the mechanic do harder stuff or would it be best to get it all done at once?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

That's your choice - either way works. Working on it yourself will require a mess of tools, primarily metric sockets and wrenches, as well as a large torque wrench, and a suitable and safe method of raising the car up so you can work underneath it.

A number of the items you say need replacement are covered here fairly well in the "How-To" section (axle shaft, Lower control arms, struts, sway bar links and bushings, brake pads/rotors).

What I would worry about though is hidden damage considering that the lower control arms are bent, the axle is a write-off, and the strut is damaged. That kind of damage is not necessarily blatently visible - Firemangeorge's suggestion about taking it to a collision shop is a good one. I'd hate to pour a mess of $'s into it, and end up finding you have a twisted unibody that will cost major $'s to fix - if it IS fixable.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

With that amount of damage, I would be worried about the hidden damage as whopper stated.
Unibody damage and a possible bent engine cradle are 2 real possibilities. A bent axle could have very easily damaged the transmission.
Fwiw. I used to work at a large shop that did mechanical repairs and body work. 2 separate shops under one roof. I've seen many hidden damaged parts show up after the work was started.
A 9 year old fair condition car with that many miles may not be worth what it will take to fix it.

Not trying to scare you. Just stating what you may be in for.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:17 PM

The estimate would have to include the alignment if they are going to replace a spindle/knuckle, both LCAs, a strut (I would recommend you spring for the other).

I don't think anything you listed except the alignment is a pro job. Mostly bolt on stuff, you would need to rent some proper tools and learn how to use a torque wrench and follow directions.

The upside is you can take the insurance money for labor and put it in your pocket.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The estimate would have to include the alignment if they are going to replace a spindle/knuckle, both LCAs, a strut (I would recommend you spring for the other).

I don't think anything you listed except the alignment is a pro job. Mostly bolt on stuff, you would need to rent some proper tools and learn how to use a torque wrench and follow directions.

The upside is you can take the insurance money for labor and put it in your pocket.
In familiar with a torque wrench and have a good handful of tools but I'm sure I don't have every tool I need.
Sadly I won't be getting money out of insurance due to the fact I was trying to be a cheap ass.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
With that amount of damage, I would be worried about the hidden damage as whopper stated.
Unibody damage and a possible bent engine cradle are 2 real possibilities. A bent axle could have very easily damaged the transmission.
Fwiw. I used to work at a large shop that did mechanical repairs and body work. 2 separate shops under one roof. I've seen many hidden damaged parts show up after the work was started.
A 9 year old fair condition car with that many miles may not be worth what it will take to fix it.

Not trying to scare you. Just stating what you may be in for.

What would I have to look for to notice the hidden damage? Or is it just something is have to find out after I pieced it back together?

Quick Reply: suspension damage help