Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

TCM trouble code help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:34 AM

TCM trouble code help

Hi,

I recently inherited a 2006 HHR LT which was very lightly used. Everything worked fine for a week then the power steering failed. I power cycled the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting. The trouble message went away and the power steering resumed working. Two days later the traction control error indicator came on and the vehicle went into "limp home' mode by remaining in 1st gear. I again power cycled the system as previously described and the TC error indicator remained on with the drive train remaining in the "limp home" mode. I am suspecting a loss of communication between the TCM module and the transmission but I have no way to be certain. Has anyone successfully troubleshooted this condition? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

It's obviously triggering 1 or more CEL codes (Check Engine Light). You need to have those codes pulled and then post up the code #'s here. Precise code numbers only. Ex: P0001, P0002.
Descriptions of those codes are generally generic and can be misleading.

Fwiw. Disconnecting the battery does reboot the computer, but it will erase or clear most CEL's. Not a good practice to "clear" the codes that can point to the problem.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Technical Moderator

"limp mode" is NOT stay in first. It is more like every other cylinder fires. It is a response to an engine fault, usually overheating or emission; there would be a CEL and code.

There is an "extended warranty" on the power steering.

I suspect a problem in the fuse box.

(I moved this thread from the regional forum)

This particular wire is a gremlin.
TCM trouble code help-wire.png

Last edited by donbrew; 04-24-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:10 AM

TCM trouble code help codes

The codes that are being displayed are:

U0101
U2106

additionally I have to add that the speedometer is not working as well.

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Welcome to the site.

It's obviously triggering 1 or more CEL codes (Check Engine Light). You need to have those codes pulled and then post up the code #'s here. Precise code numbers only. Ex: P0001, P0002.
Descriptions of those codes are generally generic and can be misleading.

Fwiw. Disconnecting the battery does reboot the computer, but it will erase or clear most CEL's. Not a good practice to "clear" the codes that can point to the problem.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Technical Moderator

The speedo isn't working because the TCM isn't working.

Both of those codes are TCM communication faults. I would be looking at wires and fuses.

The connector on the bottom of the trans passenger side is the vehicle speed sensor. It is vulnerable to varmints and running over things.

Fuse #43 under hood.

You might try disconnect/reconnect the TCM connector. (disconnect negative cable on battery first).

Is the "Darth Vader" plastic hood still covering the ECM & TCM? Any chance that somebody touched the TCM with a hot wire?

Last edited by donbrew; 04-26-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Check the grounds and wire harness connections at the TCM
Old 05-07-2017, 05:04 PM

oldblue is right itsa ground problem if you cant find the bad ground buy a jumper ground wire and jumper its from the gnd spot on ur body near the strut to the tcm itself ( its predrilled) this will fix the issue if your stuck in first gear no power steering no speedometer ect...
Old 05-09-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The speedo isn't working because the TCM isn't working.

Both of those codes are TCM communication faults. I would be looking at wires and fuses.

The connector on the bottom of the trans passenger side is the vehicle speed sensor. It is vulnerable to varmints and running over things.

Fuse #43 under hood.

You might try disconnect/reconnect the TCM connector. (disconnect negative cable on battery first).

Is the "Darth Vader" plastic hood still covering the ECM & TCM? Any chance that somebody touched the TCM with a hot wire?
I changed fuse #43 but nothing improved.
The hood is secure.
I think I'm going to have to ring out the TCM>Trans connectors
Old 05-09-2017, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Check the grounds and wire harness connections at the TCM
Do you know where I can get a wiring diagram?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Technical Moderator

Check your PM.

Quick Reply: TCM trouble code help