Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Temp dial gets to red and no heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 PM

Note the relatively huge difference between 40% and 50%.
My local weather guy says your temps are in the -40F range, cold enough for the wrong mixture to freeze.

Last edited by donbrew; 01-30-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Here in Welland, Ontario -1degrees F or -18 C
in Duluth Minnesota -10 degree F or -23 C

before factoring in the wind chill. Up here it’s chilly at -35 C or -31 F
Old 01-30-2019, 04:52 PM

Yes that's here -30f when I got up this morning. Highest I noticed was -15f today.
Hhr has been a popsicle all day, won't start now.
4 month old battery is inside for the night will charge it when it warms up.

Weather will be better in a couple days. Just going to wait it out now. Not worth it.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:33 AM

Bringing battery in house overnight was enough to get it running this morning.
It is acting up today, so they should be able to find the problem.

Fingers crossed for an easy fix
Old 01-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Apparently thermostats can stick in the closed position

A car thermostat regulates the flow of coolant through the engine and is an incredibly important player in the operation of your vehicle’s engine. You may hear the phrase “the thermostat was stuck open or closed.” When the engine has been sitting for a while and is not warm, the thermostat will be closed. Once the engine is running and reaches a certain operating temperature, a sensor inside the thermostat will cause it to open, allowing coolant to flow to and from the radiator, decreasing the temperature so it can be recirculated through the engine again. This constant flow (in conjunction with several other cooling system components) keeps your vehicle’s engine functioning at the optimum temperature.

The opening and closing of the thermostat at the correct time are critical to maintaining proper engine temperature. In the event the thermostat happens to become “stuck” closed, there is no way for coolant to be circulated through the radiator and eventually back through the engine, which causes extremely hot engine temperatures. Likewise, if the thermostat is “stuck” open, the flow of coolant is constant, it results in the vehicle’s engine temperature never reaching an optimum level of heat, creating performance problems and accelerating the wear-down of parts. There are 4 common symptoms associated with a bad or failing thermostat.

1. High-Temperature Reading and Engine Overheating

The first and potentially most alarming symptom will be the temperature gauge reading high into the red within the first 15 minutes of your vehicle engine running. This is often the first sign that the thermostat is not functioning properly. It means coolant isn’t entering the engine because the thermostat is stuck closed, and your car can suffer engine damage fast.

2. Low-Temperature Reading and Underheated Engine

A thermostat stuck in the open position constantly pushes coolant into the engine and causes a lower operating temperature. Your temperature gauge will show a needle that barely increases or remains at the lowest setting. This will reduce engine efficiency and increase emisssions over time, as well as accelerate the deterioration of parts.

3. Temperature Changing Erratically

Erratic temperature fluctuations can also occur, causing dramatic spikes and drops in temperature that eventually lead to poor engine performance and reduced gas mileage. In this case, you may see the temperature abnormally low at one point and, shortly after, climb to an abnormally high level. The thermostat itself isn’t stuck in any one position, but it will still produce false readings and cause issues with coolant regulation.

from this article

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ing-thermostat
Old 01-31-2019, 12:12 PM

When I was driving there, everything was very cold, digital made it up to 140. Dial had not moved yet.

What they saw....
temp sensor was not accurate
Engine was cold and not warming
t-stat was stuck open

So temp sensor and t-stat being replaced.
Hope that is all, I will see.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2019, 12:25 PM

Newer/later thermostats have a failsafe built in. There is a feathered edge stamped into it which stops the valve from closing in an overheat condition.. Overheating will weaken the spring and make the valve to close, but the edge stops that.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:35 PM

So you are saying what they see today, may just be the result of something that happened earlier?
I do have a feeling this is still a bigger issue
Ever since someone put "catastrophic" in my head.
Still hoping
Old 01-31-2019, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Yes they have these fail safe style thermostats, I bought one,

it failed in the closed position
Old 01-31-2019, 01:58 PM
Administrator

The AC Delco 131-158 doesn’t have the rubber ring like the OE thermostat had.

Quick Reply: Temp dial gets to red and no heat