Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Temp gauge flatline no temp readout

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 04:43 PM

Amazon Amazon

Available next day to my address.
You will probably have the same problem soon. ACDelco 131-158 is the ONLY one that lasts and is accurate. "FITS" is not the same as "IS".
None of us gets anything from GM or ACDelco; we don't recommend specific parts lightly. Spark plugs and t-stats are about the only ones, for really good reasons.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:41 PM

my replacement one took 4 days from Amazon and also said O.E. AC Delco 131-158 and was $54.46 said it came from AC Delco Store. I picked it because it didn't list that it also fit other models. The other thermostat I have is a Gates "O.E.Type thermostat" That was cheaper but I didn't want to go through this again too soon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IZ25VY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IZ25VY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Old 01-09-2024, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by jimvw
OK so I paid my dues (again) and spilled some blood.... The old thermostat was messed up with the rubber inside (see picture) and the only brand name I could find was STC . After getting it apart, we couldn't get the thermostat to come out of the block. Ended up getting a long screwdriver in there and popping it out. New one went in fine, but it was a chore getting the bolts back in place. Big hands ya know... It did dump quite a bit of coolant so we refilled and test drove it. After about 5 min it was up to 180, then dropped to 178, then back to 182.. so I would guess it is working correctly now. It is resting comfortably with pass side front wheel on the cueb to help the air bubble escape once it cools down. Then we will refill. (see I do pay attention)

Again, you guys were right and hopefully it is done. This is the thermostat that was in there since I bought it about 3 years ago.(the truck, not the thermostat)
STC is Standard. That's the exact same one I pulled out of mine.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by jimvw
my replacement one took 4 days from Amazon and also said O.E. AC Delco 131-158 and was $54.46 said it came from AC Delco Store. I picked it because it didn't list that it also fit other models. The other thermostat I have is a Gates "O.E.Type thermostat" That was cheaper but I didn't want to go through this again too soon.
I am confused; you said "the only name brand you could find" was STC. Then you post a link to ACDelco. If they sent STC from that link you should complain and get your money back, they don't always require a return. FALSE advertising, you got a $12 part for your $54.
I have got 2 free computer mother boards because they sent a slightly different model than advertised.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:42 PM

No. He's saying that the only identifying marks on the thermostat he removed was STC.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:54 PM

jimvw said he got STC, Mongo said he removed STC.
Old 01-09-2024, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
jimvw said he got STC, Mongo said he removed STC.
I'm reading it as he pulled it and the only brand he could find (on it) was STC.

I'm sure jimwv will clear up any confusion
Old 01-10-2024, 09:12 AM

for 3 days I have said I ordered the AC Delco O.E. thermostat, and that is what I got and installed. The one I removed from the vehicle only had the letters STC on it, and said USA and 54MM on the top. I probably paid too much for the OEM thermostat but I wanted to be sure it came from AC Delco.

Even arrived in an official looking box. so I am pretty sure it was the real thing. The STC thermostat is comfortably resting in the trash.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:19 AM

$50 is is about right for 131-158.
I thought they sent you something different from what you ordered. Not that you ordered wrong.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:28 AM

Wouldn't be the first time I sent something back for being "not what I ordered" and I only wanted to do this once. I learned my lesson installing cheap LCA's and then wearing out a set of tires in 10K miles. cost me another set of tires and I had to swap out the LCA's for the right ones. It got kind of expensive , I should have gotten the better quality LCA's to begin with. The ones I started with were lower cost and fast delivery. now I know why.

Quick Reply: Temp gauge flatline no temp readout