Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

temperature up

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The needle gauge is almost useless; it only changes when it is too late.
That's kind of the impression I got from it, too. It's one of those phony either/or gauges, more like an idiot light. I will monitor the temps regularly, then.
220 is ok then?
When the fans kick on they pull it down outta there quickly?
Old 06-17-2017, 02:28 PM
Technical Moderator

When you are moving at highway speed the temp should stay fairly steady, around 190F, depending on load and ambient. Idling it will sometimes get to 220F when the fan turns on, it will turn back off at 180F.

If it gets below 180F while cruising your t-stat is stuck open.

Please check the coolant level regularly; under the pressure cap and in the bottle. See your Owner manual for the proper level. Too much is almost as bad as too low.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:34 PM

When you are moving at highway speed the temp should stay fairly steady, around 190F, depending on load and ambient. Idling it will sometimes get to 220F when the fan turns on, it will turn back off at 180F.

Please check the coolant level regularly; under the pressure cap and in the bottle. See your Owner manual for the proper level. Too much is almost as bad as too low.
Just what I needed, thanks very much!
I will check it regularly and watch it til I have enough experience to trust things.
Right now, I'm watchin it like a hawk.
You can't be too careful with an aluminum engine.
thanks again!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 AM

You should post this on the front page lol
Old 07-13-2017, 04:19 PM

I'm baaa ack!
Now my car runs its cooling fan a lot. Today I used the A/C for a few miles then shut it off. The coolant temp never went above 185 even sitting in a line at a hamburger joint.
When I got back home it was down to 178 (all town driving) and the fan was still on.
Question is, should not the fan cut off if you're below 200 plus degrees and the A/C is off?
OR, does it just stay on because it is programmed to do so once you use the A/C on a given drive? It wasn't doing this when I got it a couple weeks ago, I remember it got what I thought was 'hot' sitting in a line.
Maybe I should disconnect the battery for a while to let it regain its senses..
The coolant is fine, engine runs fine, cruises around the city at 181 in 80 degree ambient- With the fan running constantly.
Seems a little cool...??
Old 07-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Administrator

The engine is designed for a 180 F degree thermostat. Some have thought a 190 was better just cause it was in an older V8 or in winter for more heat, but the Ecotec likes 180.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The engine is designed for a 180 F degree thermostat.
Some have thought a 190 was better just cause it was in an older V8 or in winter for more heat, but the Ecotec likes 180.
Hi OB, thanks for responding so fast!
The car isn't running too warm, it's fan won't let it get above 192. I suspect it's running all the time. My first guess is a confused computer someplace, second a sticky fan relay.
But it's not too hot. When I bought it a couple weeks ago, it was working fine.
Today I notice the radiator cooling fan is 'like new', too clean for a 9 year old.

My trouble is I am stuck here most the time and don't really drive it as much as a normal car so I'm still not used to its quirks.
I have the battery (-) disconnected, for a reset.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:14 PM

Make sure it isnt set for recirculate, that turns on the A/C and cooling fan without showing the light on the A/C control.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Make sure it isnt set for recirculate, that turns on the A/C and cooling fan without showing the light on the A/C control.
Will do, next try! Thank you for the tip.
I did have it on recirculate but switched it to outside after a little bit.
I'll go out and reconnect the batt then start it up. The engine is fairly cool now so there should be no fan running after it starts, I think..
I hear it spin up whenever I turn the key on. I thought that was just the computer checking it for operation but I know nothing for certain.
Going back out now for a minute or two..
Edit: Ok, after resetting the comp it spun up the fan on key on, then started, fan off, stayed off to 217, came on and stayed on to 176, then the temps rose again.
Seemed all normal but as I turned off the car I thought I heard the fan spinning down, but it did work as advertised more or less.
The glitch might have been fixed by the batt cable trick. ?

Last edited by Conax; 07-13-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:53 PM

See edit above ^

Quick Reply: temperature up