Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Thanks. My wife backed onto a curb she didn't see with passenger front tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 10:26 AM

Thanks. My wife backed onto a curb she didn't see with passenger front tire

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Bad hub sensor, damaged ABS wires, VVT solenoids failed, low battery voltage all could cause this issue.
Have the battery load tested, 12.3 volts is a dead battery.
My wife backed onto a curb she didn't see with passenger front tire. She said it sounded like she got an iceberg! The dash indicator for traction is lit, and the dash display reads SERVICE ESC. Other than that, everything feels and looks normal. I checked the underside behind the tire and didn't see anything. I also looked at the area as best I could from above too, in the engine compartment. I couldn't see much from above because there's components and the body/wheel well in the way.

I expect it's the hub (passenger front) or some wiring that got tugged, smooshed, or pinched, like maybe the ground wire (???) connecting to the hub (???) I've seen was an issue for one fella who made a yutube video about.

​​​​​I'm just wondering, if it's the hub, why don't any ABS warnings/indicators also pop up? Would a bad hub setoff traction alerts but not abs?
Old 05-16-2021, 05:58 PM

No ground wire. There is a connector attached to the strut, that is the wire in question. I don't know why the ABS isn't lit, maybe something else is amiss.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:56 PM

I moved the post from a barely related thread to this new thread.

Could be the sensor ring got knocked out

Maybe some steering part got bent enough to tell the steering sensor you are in a spin.

Does the steering wheel center itself?
Old 05-16-2021, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
No ground wire. There is a connector attached to the strut, that is the wire in question. I don't know why the ABS isn't lit, maybe something else is amiss.
I got my hands on the connector wires and they seem fine and out of the way of where the curb would've been incoming from. With the likely damage sustained by the front hub, would the hub likely throw the SERVICE ESC and traction indicator I'm getting?

p.s. A couple years ago, I replaced the vvt solenoids (intake and exhaust camshaft position sensor actuator solenoids) as recommended for codes P0013 and P0014, which set off the CEL.

No CEL this time. However, related to the vvt's, I've noticed what appears to be what oldblue described of them leaking...

Last edited by MN Murph; 06-06-2021 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Misspellings
Old 05-16-2021, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I moved the post from a barely related thread to this new thread.

Could be the sensor ring got knocked out

Maybe some steering part got bent enough to tell the steering sensor you are in a spin.

Does the steering wheel center itself?
Sensor ring?
The steering doesn't seem off or noticeably effected.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:17 AM
Administrator

The sensor ring is contained in the plastic ring on the transmission side of the bearing hub

Looking at it won’t tell you much.

Last edited by Oldblue; 05-17-2021 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:07 AM

The ABS sensor is a ring and a Hall effect sensor.

Without hands on I don't have anything else.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:10 AM

Gotta try pulling codes

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...raction-64287/
I'm gonna go the route of this thread and try pulling codes. Will post the results when I get em. I was under the impression that codes are only present when the check engine light is on...
Old 06-06-2021, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Yes. Engine related codes trigger the Check "Engine" Light (CEL). There are all kinds of other codes that are not engine (powertrain) related. Most of these other codes don't turn on the CEL.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Yes. Engine related codes trigger the Check "Engine" Light (CEL). There are all kinds of other codes that are not engine (powertrain) related. Most of these other codes don't turn on the CEL.
Thanks, good to know, makes sense.

Quick Reply: Thanks. My wife backed onto a curb she didn't see with passenger front tire