Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Theft-deterrent light

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Founding Member

The most common cause for this, is the electrical center under the hood
Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 AM

Took it to the service this morning (yeah, I know, it's +8 hours here if compared to Austin, Texas, for example:)). But this morning that gremlin came back right after I started the engine. What's more - check engine light appeared. So, waiting for their call...
Old 02-18-2013, 06:01 AM

Just an update - our local Chevy center spent 3 hours trying to figure out what's wrong. They called me and said that they think that the BCM module should be changed (320 EUR here). I said that the part was changed more than 2 weeks ago by another company called American Car (have been servicing there for 6 years and had no issues with all 4 cars I had/have). Chevy center said that American Car had probably messed up with firmware and that they need the old BCM in order to program the new one. Called AC again - they said to come to them since if that's their fault then they must fix it for free (kind of obvious:)). So, taking it there on Thursday morning - using my wife's car instead for now.

And all my brake lights work and there are no LEDs used, so I guess the fact that my cruise control is not working has something to do with those electrical glitches. What bother me is that AC said that BCM has nothing to do with raw shifting and electric steering. They said another module is responsible for this stuff. However, Chevy Center said that the following BCM error causes these glitches:

C0278 - Brake pedal position sensor
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 AM

So, got my car back yesterday - they just reprogrammed the BCM (I think they just forgot about the firmware last time) and how everything works fine (including the cruise control). So I guess BCM is not something you can just plug in...
Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 AM

After they flashed the BCM - the car worked ideally for 1.5 days. But after that - new issues occurred. First of all, only 2 gauges (fuel and tachometer) are "jumping" now. Theft-deterrent light, check engine (not always) and traction control lights are now the ones bothering me. As for errors - in addition to classic steering and fuel messages I get "TRACTION SERVICE" message. Rough shifting is here too. The main differences between its current behavior and the previous one are:
1. Cruise control always works - even when the car is acting as badly as it can.
2. Issues appear after starting the engine in the morning and disappear after driving for a few minutes and shutting off the engine. Before that it worked OK in the morning, but had serious behavior issues in the evening (after driving for half an hour or so).
What can cause this? That's the first time I've started thinking about selling a car 1 month after buying it (usually was 2-4 years before). I like it and want to get it cured. Not really fond of spending money on 2 services...
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM

Seeking circuitry / electrical scheme ASAP!

Hey guys,

I'm so sick of my HHR. After owning it for 2 months I'm already thinking of burning it down for insurance. Joking, of course, but I really like it and want to solve its issues.

Seriously, if 2 Chevrolet services had not been able to help me, I found a good electrician (a real pro - known for solving hardest electrical glitches). He is an old-school guy - not the one you usually find in services (those guys just can replace parts until your problem is solved). My local Chevy center tried fixing my electrical glitches 6 times in 3 weeks and now they offer me to replace the whole wiring for ~1400 USD and see "if that solves it". I'm not into lotteries and burning cash, so I'll give the car to this guy.

However, he needs an "electrical scheme" (circuitry is what it is usually called as far as I understand). Can anyone help me find one? Need it ASAP.

It's 2008 HHR LT with 2.4 engine.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM

That is easier said than done. Check your PM for pssibilities.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 PM

You now have 2 private messages. The second one does include some wiring diagrams, but for a 2006 model which should be close.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 AM

Thanks for your help. Forwarded the info to my electrician.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 AM

Which part of the electrical system do you need ?
I have the doors and radio schematics for 2008 on hand, and might be able to get other specific diagrams.

Quick Reply: Theft-deterrent light