Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Tool Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 04:42 PM

Looks like the vast majority of your tools are for a flat tire, you get a lot of them? You probably ought to have a torque wrench for putting wheel back on. I kinda get the plugs(good in a pinch, but not really good for the tire), but why the tire patches? You don't have a way of breaking the bead and removing the tire from the wheel(and reinstalling) on the side of the road, do you?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 PM
JCC

Some may have over looked your driving 120 miles a day... so your set is well stocked for the week. If nothing more was in the back I think you could do a flat in about 15 min.
+ or -

Extras: Look around for a jump suit or overalls made from light plastic material... They will wipe clean for reuses. I see them from time to time in HF, Good Will, Dollar Stores, etc.

Marvel Mystery oil... been around from forever, 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and part of the 70's AT THE SAME PRICE. One of the first upper lubes for the values... good all around lube in the gas, oil, etc. As always look for it in gal and then transfer it to a small container for carry. Sorry but I had to add this... I'm part Scott... the thrifty people.

Road side Safety Light... HF has a small red and white triangle shaped flashing emergency light which is on sale a lot. Has a magnet in the back and hook on it so you can place it any where.

Best Baby Wipes are at Wal Mart, called Pure and Clean (I think). Get 90 for $1.00 AND they are good for the inside too. Nothing in it to harm or build up... can use them on your face. Can use them all around the ride and house.

I too like the break-over with a deep socket... I like the 2 in 1 design where you exchange ends (turn it around) for another size. They come in a set of 2 sockets (having 4 sizes - one on each end) and a short extension in 1/2" drive. Easy to help people even if they don't drive an HHR.

At the Dollar store you can get the tape that sticks to every thing and said to seal a heater hose. They are good for electric work and will seal out the weather like a HEAT wrap but WITHOUT THE HEAT GUN NEEDED. Get some tubes of crazy glue in the GEL FORM... which are better and last longer. Pick-up a 20' tow-rope just in case... I see them on sale at HF and at garage sales a lot.

Then have a set of sockets and tools you feel are needed just in case... plan for if you have to take off or put on the fan belt (serpentine belt) as it can be a challenge. And by the way you can keep the hammer up front where it can be kept in a handy reach.

Lastly... I would be checking the air in all 5 tires weekly... I found that spare tires without air make for a DOUBLE FLAT DAY! In a case like yours, I might look for a second spare (donut) tire to carry on long trips. Can place it on top of the regular spare and tie them together as the bottom tire will be bolted down so both want go flying around.

Then there is AAA or a good roadside tow service. . . when things get really bad.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Looks like the vast majority of your tools are for a flat tire, you get a lot of them? You probably ought to have a torque wrench for putting wheel back on. I kinda get the plugs(good in a pinch, but not really good for the tire), but why the tire patches? You don't have a way of breaking the bead and removing the tire from the wheel(and reinstalling) on the side of the road, do you?
I do get flats once in a while and with these tools I can get back on the road within 10-15 min. I have been using tire plugs for years and none of them failed. I just keep driving until it is time to replace the tire. There are no tire patches in the kit. That is a pack of 30 tire plugs that I recently got. All the ones that came with the kit were used up together with the rubber glue. I usually buy things that don't spoil in large quantities.

As far as side wall damage goes, I never had one in the past 12 year. I was even thinking of removing emergency tire.

I had a funny incident that happened to me when I was buying 1.5 ton jack from HF Tools. I usually try everything I buy right away once I step out of the store. I did the same with the jack. I tested the jack on the right rear jack point and after making sure that everything is working fine began to drive home. The next thing I know, car computer tells me that my right rear tire is low on air!

I stopped and checked the tire for any damage and found a huge nail in it. I probably caught it a day or two ago and the tire was slowly deflating all this time. Pleasant surprise and a great opportunity to try newly acquired jack!

BTW, I always carry Leatherman Wave with me. Forgot to put that one on the list! Pliers are a must for taking out nails and a serrated knife is great for trimming tire plugs.

Torque wrench is not necessary. I usually go by feel and then re-torque everything when I get home.

I used to do adventure motorcycling. In off-road conditions you need to be prepared to deal with anything that comes your way and be as creative as possible. You would usually take much more tools and parts with you because of the distance away from home and even civilization. Some even change wheel bearings on the roadside. :-) Here is a good thread for inspiration that shows what a good motorcycle toolkit should look like: http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...thread.262998/

My HHR is not an adventure vehicle, so I don't need much more than what is in the kit. I should definitely consider a way to deal with a cracked hose and learn how to replace serpentine belt.

I think the kit addresses most of the major roadside problems that one may have.

Dead battery (I usually help others with this. I my car I have a little gauge that tells me current status of the battery and alternator)
Running out of fuel
Flat Tire
Headlight Bulb (Had a few of those along with stop light ones)
Lockout (I have an extra key with me)

Leaking Hose (I try do pre-trip inspection everyday)
Faulty Belt (Also check that pretty often)

I hope I did not forget anything.

Last edited by slonny; 10-04-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:14 AM

JCC, thanks for your input! I will definitely consider the things that you mentioned. I have heard that serpentine belt does go bad, although I don't have the knowledge of how to replace one yet. Faulty hoses is another common problem that I hear people mention, and I will certainly follow your advice on how to deal with that on the road.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Administrator

I just carry my AAA card and save the room for luggage! If something requires replacement on an adventure, there is a WallyWorld or parts palace fairly close by.
226,000 miles on the HHR , only had a new wiper fall off, 1 flat tire, the flexpipe break.
Mind you I do inspect the car prior to leaving home!
Old 04-28-2022, 05:12 PM

I generally carry enough tools to rebuild whatever vehicle I have. I even have inverters so I can run power tools. Plugs, compressors, tire irons, compact floor jack etc. I would need a tractor trailer just for my tools.