Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

TPMS Sensor Stems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:43 AM

Question TPMS Sensor Stems

I took my HHR to the tire shop to have my new rims and tires mounted. I asked them to take the sensors from the stock wheels and reinstall them on the new rims, which they said they could handle. Well, after watching the guy scratch and ponder over them for a while he finally came back up and said he couldnt install the TPMS sensors on the new wheels.

I asked why and he said that the sensor itself just twists right off of the pressure valve stem but he could not get the pressure valve stem itself out of the stock wheels - "that it doesnt come out, its embedded in the wheel". So, his solution was to install the new wheels without sensors (warning light on now) and tell me I need to buy an entire new set of sensors from the dealer - which come with new stems, come back, and pay again to have all the wheels dismounted and remounted to install the new sensors.

On reflection, this sounds like cr*p to me. It looks like I can just pull the stem from the wheel, or at the very least buy just the replacement stems instead of all new sensors? What can you recommend?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:38 AM

I do not believe you can re use the TPWS. The sensors are part of the valve stem. A real Tire Shop would have offered you New valve stems with the TPWS. When I purchased my 18" wheels and Tires from Tire Rack, they offered the new Valve Stems with the TPWS. I had to take it back to the Chevrolet Dealer so they could scan the new Sensors. Could not reset per the owner's manual.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM

The sensor and valve stem are separate and can be purchased separately from your dealer or an auto parts store. The valve stems are installed/removed like regular valve stems and will come with new torx screws as well.

Name:  sensor_3.jpg
Views: 3281
Size:  37.5 KB
Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 PM

You obviously have a Tire Installer who is an IDIOT!!!!!!!

I can attest that they can be removed and reused. I watched the tire guy remove mine and move them to my new wheels. I went to Discount Tire to have mine done. They came wright out with no problem.

Find another Installer!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:27 AM

Yeah, I figured as much. I wonder if I printed this out would I have any recourse to take it back up there and have them (different tech) do the install at no charge since I paid for the mounting once already.

Oh, P.S. did I mention this was Firestone? Supposedly a professional, knowledgeable company.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by ecaryn
Yeah, I figured as much. I wonder if I printed this out would I have any recourse to take it back up there and have them (different tech) do the install at no charge since I paid for the mounting once already.

Oh, P.S. did I mention this was Firestone? Supposedly a professional, knowledgeable company.

Firestone sucks!!!!! . I dealt with them one time about 10 years ago.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:15 PM

haha, I tried taking my hhr to firestone and they said they couldn't because they weren't familiar with tpms. This was about two years ago though. I went down the block to goodyear and there were no problems at all.

I tried firestone again this summer and this time they said they couldn't transfer them to aftermarket wheels due to some kind of policy they have.

Short version: don't go to firestone.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Yet another reason to hate TPMS. If you're not smart enough to get out a tire gauge and manually check the pressures once a month you don't need to be driving.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Wally world switched mine out and only charged me $3-4 a piece for them.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:41 PM

I have not found a shop yet in my area that can re-learn the TPMS positions, without my tutoring. Mr. Goodwrench included.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor Stems