Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

TPMS Sensor Stems

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 PM

thanks for struggle
Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 PM

Firstly, there are different types of TPMS sensors. Typically, the type that screws on the the bottom of a rubber valve stem can be switched from one wheel to another. However, the rubber valve stem is called a "snap in valve" and is not intended for reuse as it will typically tear when trying to remove it from the wheel. This example was pictured previously in this thread. All one needs to do is to buy another valve stem for that type of TPMS sensor. Many tire shops have these and all of the NAPA stores also carry them. Around $4.00 to $9.00 each depending on where one purchases them.
Another type that GM uses is the bolt in type where the valve portion screws into the hole in the wheel with the TPMS sensor permanently affixed to the stem portion. This type requires more attention to detail as the torque of the nut is very, very sensitive to being over torqued and can only be used once. Schraeder, the manufacture of the unit recommends replacement of the nut, valve core and rubber grommet everytime it is removed from the wheel. This is also available through NAPA and I think it is around $9.00 each. My HHR came with this type in the factory 18" wheels.
It sounds like the tire tech at the Firestone had little experience with the first type mentioned above and didn't quite know what to do. All that was needed was the 4 new snap in valve stems that use the GM TPMS sensor be installed in your new wheels. This can still be done without much problem by just breaking down the outside bead of the tire and install the needed valve stem and screwing on the TPMS sensor. A quarter once wheel weight will have to be added 180 degrees from the valve to offset the added TPMS sensor so that the balance wouldn't have to redone.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:55 PM

The relearn process is different for almost every type of car. Just as the oil change reminder is different from car to car. Most of the time the relearn is a big deal especially if the sensors are going back on is the same position. Some cars relearn by themself and driving for approx 2 miles. Some are more difficult and require manual relearn process and some are flat out nasty requiring a trip to the dealer. I have a electronic wand that is supposed to take care of 99 % of the differenct TPMS sensors, but that is BS too.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:50 PM

I just picked up an 08 with only 45,000 miles. already have an 09 with 195,000. The problem is that on occasion in the 08 one wheel will drop out, no pressure indicated, no low tire pressure light, but a pressure sensor fault. The problem is that it resets itself. so far it craps out with a different tire going blank. The dealership says they have to catch it in the act, but it resets before they see it. I don't think it's the wheel units, I think it's what the wheel units are reporting to. I'm under a time frame because there is only a 30 day warranty. They claim there isn't a fault history so how can I get this dang thing fixed?
Old 05-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Snowwizard
I just picked up an 08 with only 45,000 miles. already have an 09 with 195,000. The problem is that on occasion in the 08 one wheel will drop out, no pressure indicated, no low tire pressure light, but a pressure sensor fault. The problem is that it resets itself. so far it craps out with a different tire going blank. The dealership says they have to catch it in the act, but it resets before they see it. I don't think it's the wheel units, I think it's what the wheel units are reporting to. I'm under a time frame because there is only a 30 day warranty. They claim there isn't a fault history so how can I get this dang thing fixed?
We know, because you already opened a separate thread about it.

Lets use your open thread rather than confuse the issue with a double posting. this 8 year old thread is now closed