Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

problem with a/c drain leaking with heat on

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 09:46 AM

problem with a/c drain leaking with heat on

After I changed the timing chain I drained the coolant ( water pump drain and rad pet****) and filled it with water . I ran it with water for probably an hour or so all together. I then drained it again (both spots) . I filled it with a 50/50 mix while it was running. I put the cap on and put some in the recovery tank. So my problem is that when I blast the heat there is water coming out of the A/C drain. It seams like clean water. I let everything dry over night (jacked up in the front),blew air into the a/c drain, filled up at the heater hose cap, let it run for a good while and got no water with the heat off. When I turned the heat on after awhile it leaks again. It does seem like clean water, but I wonder if it could be residual that I ran through the system. Would the heater core leaking come out the a/c drain? There is no fliuid on the carpet inside at all. As always thank you guys for all the help !
Old 08-26-2018, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

If you have it full of 50/50 mix, then IF you had a heater core leak it would be coolant leak. Once you add coolant, it doesn't take long to circulate and mix throughout the cooling system.

My guess is you think it's only set to heat but I'll bet the AC compressor is engaged. Compressor on = water condensation will drip from the drain.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:39 AM

Awesome ! Thanks ! I guess that I was just being overly precautious . I confirmed your theory. I wiped up the floor, let it run no heat , no compressor = no leaking. The I clicked on the heat , I listened carefully and heard the compressor click also with the wheelwell out it was very easy to see the compressor now spinning = leaking out the a/c drain. I guess it is because of the 100 percent humidity making a ton come out. I also thought the compressor would only come on if the a/c or defrost was on. Thanks again Firemangeorge !!!!!!
Old 08-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Technical Moderator

Humidity has nothing to do with the AC coming on. either push the button, defrost or recirc turns it on.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:48 PM

I did not say that humidity had anything to do with the a/c coming on. I stated that a ton of condensate was coming out of the drain. And yes this does have to do with how much humidity is in the outside air. If you are going to grade all of my posts.....do it correctly
Old 08-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Glad you got it figured out and everything is working as it's supposed to.
And. Make sure you do a good "burp" on the cooling system. These little cars can be a pain to get all the air out when refilling the coolant.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:28 PM
Technical Moderator

I was trying to make the point that the AC compressor does not turn itself on; you have to either push the AC button, defrost on or push the recirc button. So there seems to be a mystery about how the AC turned itself on since there is no mention of it running in post #1.