Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Transmission -Locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:41 AM

Transmission -Locks

January 7, 2011

After starting , stepping on the brake, shifting to D, doors lock and first gear is engaged; normal operation. Problem (1), doors do not lock, stepping on brake solenoid sound clicking noise, transmission up shifts a little hard. Doors do open and lock with the door swiches.

At 50 MPH release accelerator, speed decreases down shift to intermediate transmission down shifts one gear engine RPM increases, at less than 40 MPH a second down shift and engine RPM jumps up, normal operation.

With problem (1) then problem (2) At 50 MPH release accelerator, speed decreases down shift to intermediate transmission down no shifting inside the transmission until less than 15 MPH and shift is HARD. Stepping on brake solenoid sound, clicking noise at any time.
This has happened previously a few times but only for a short period of time.
Any ideas what needs replacing?

49800 miles driven
22300 miles towed

72,100 total miles

George
Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 AM

Year, Engine, Transmission?

You can check the settings of your door locks in your DIC.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Silver Sally
January 7, 2011

49800 miles driven
22300 miles towed

72,100 total miles

George
Maybe this is not the answer. But ..
22,300 miles toved - This is beyond measure, much.
Transmission can die.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 PM

2006 model I guess 2.2 engine 5 speed automatic
George
Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 PM

Huh, 5 speed automatic?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Deceased

I'd have the codes pulled at Autozone or someplace like it to get an idea of what faults are turning up. I'd also have the transmission serviced with 23K of flat towing on the vehicle. Your best bet might be a trip to the dealership.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM

Well the locks and transmission are working normally again . Just about two weeks not working normally. Just started working.
As another noticed thing the MPG was not as good during that time also.
29.1 MPG now was down to 28.4
George
Old 01-12-2011, 06:10 PM

I'm having a similar problem with mine. Most of the time everything works OK. Occasionally, while using the cruise control, the rpms rev slightly but go back to normal right away. About the 3d or 4th time it does this (usually), the cruise disengages. Upon getting to a place where I can stop and check it out WITH the engine still running, doors won't unlock automatically when shifted to park. Have to manually unlock doors. If I don't turn off engine and drive away, the transmission shifts hard through the gears. If I turn off the engine for about 30 seconds then restart, all is well until the next time the problem happens - maybe right away, maybe the next week. If I have the transmission serviced (flush & fluid change) the trouble goes away for approximately 10K miles, then starts again. Most of the time, no codes are thrown. Occasionally if I keep the engine running when all this happens and shift to park, then reverse, then park or drive, I get the following codes:

p0700 - transmission control module (tcm) requested illumination. TCM detected an emission related fault. Check other service codes first.
p1816 - transmission fluid pressure (TFP) valve postion switch-park/neutral with drive ratio. The TCM has detected a park/neutral signal range with a 1-4 gear ratio. Probable cause-1. open or short circuit condition. 2. poor electrical connection. 3. dirt in the transmission valve body. 4. faulty TFP valve position switch.

My thought is that when I have the transmission serviced, the transmission filter is never changed. The service-rs claim it doesn't need replacing because of the way they flush the transmission. I think it needs replaced, specially throwing these codes and problem descriptions.
My vehicle is a '07, with (you better sit down) 307K miles, 2.2L and the hydromatic transmission.
I don't get the "clicking" when applying the brakes.
If when this problem appears, I pull over and stop & turn off the engine for 30 seconds, all is well for awhile as described earlier. If when I turn off the engine and DO NOT let it sit for the 30 seconds before restarting, that's when the CEL might illuminate with the above codes and the trouble doesn't go away until I go through the start/stop/start sequence waiting the 30 seconds.
I'm contemplating draining/replacing the fluid myself this weekend AND removing the pan and replacing the transmission filter. Haven't called the dealer yet to get the price of the filter & pan gasket. Also have to get 6.9 qts of Dextron VI atf. Am contemplating adding a transmission additive instead of some of the Dextron VI. Figure it can't hurt but maybe I'm wrong...???
I know that was a long post, but maybe that helps, specially about the codes and descriptions.
Oh, my mileage decreases slightly also.

Last edited by Telepsychic; 01-12-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 AM
geg

Telepsychic - MAYBE software failure.
Repairmen to confess to me that the one HHR came to them with a similar problem. After reprogramming the powertrain Problem gone.
If the replacement Dekstron not help, try reprogramming. It should not cost a lot.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 PM

geg-I read that somewhere. I think in a service bulletin, but I forgot about it.

Quick Reply: Transmission -Locks