Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

transmission soleniod A off

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 11:00 AM

transmission soleniod A off

Hi, was in heavy rain now check engine light on, transmission solenoid A off can't remember the code. seems like the 4 speed auto trans is only using 2nd and 3 rd gear. did I get water in something electrical? Been a month no change so I only drive to work 50 mph at 3000 tons. Thanks
Old 12-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

Without the code number it's hard to say. Posting up just a code description generally doesn't help.

"I only drive to work 50 mph at 3000 tons." I have no clue what this means.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Administrator

I'm guessing 3,000 RPM 3rd gear, 50 MPH.
Try the old negative terminal at the battery disconnect for
30 minutes to reset the computers and if you have time stop by
Your local Autozone and have the codes read.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

I wonder. From the trouble codes list on this site:

P0751 1-2 Shift solenoid (SS) Valve Performance - No First or Fourth Gear
P0752 1-2 Shift solenoid (SS) Valve Performance - No Second or Third Gear
P0756 2-3 Shift Solenoid (SS) Valve Performance - No First or Second Gear
P0757 2-3 Shift Solenoid (SS) Valve Performance - No Third or Fourth Gear

Not familiar with this or the fix.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Administrator

A quick Google search and the solenoid are a possibility, but it is still a guess, we will still need any codes in order to advise the OP
Old 12-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Technical Moderator

Since rain is involved my first thought is the electrical connector to the trans.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:13 PM

Yes I'll have to have them check the codes again,had multiple codes, running very rough at idle p0010, fixed that with intake solenoid, now back to transmission. will get the codes done again. if water did some damage to wiring where it connects to transmission how coul you tell? Maybe something shorted. thanks
Old 12-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Technical Moderator

In the absence of P0011 and/or P0012 and/or P0013 and/or P0014 the P0010 does NOT point to intake or exhaust solenoid. It points to a short, probably at the PCM connector.

I believe the problems are connected, you should cite ALL codes when you try to diagnose.

A code P0010 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty oil control valve (OCV) Open or short in the VVT/VCT circuit Open or short in the OCV / solenoid valve Damaged computer (PCM)

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0010 "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com
Old 12-25-2014, 05:13 PM

That may well be the case but a post I read gave a different list and changing the solenoid worked, don't know how to add the link. probably were more codes but at the time the person at advanced auto said I need to take to mechanic needed new timing change/belt whatever so I sort of gave up. thanks
Old 12-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Technical Moderator

OK, since the kid at Advance knows what he is talking about go ask him.

That was sarcasm. They don't have any training or knowledge. They read what the code reader prints out. But, the advice is good : go to a mechanic.

Google the the codes for information on them. If you have more than one code at a time, it is likely they are related.

Changing the solenoid may have cleared the code, but did it solve the problem? You can clear all the codes by disconnecting the negative post of the battery for a few minutes, but that does not fix the problem, the codes may return after the computer runs the monitors. That may cure your codes, try it. But it can take weeks before all of the monitors run.

The verbal description of codes rarely has anything to do with what they mean. For instance; most people think a "generic" code does not apply to their particular vehicle, in this sense "generic" means universally ascribed by the software to ALL vehicles. OBDII is a mandated set of tests, therefore most are "generic" other "specific" tests may be added by a manufacturer.

I have learned all of this by following links from Google.
To post a link simply copy the url into a post. For those who don't know what a url is; it is the address that shows in the address bar at the top of your browser window (assuming you have not hidden the address bar).

Quick Reply: transmission soleniod A off