Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Turn Signal Chimes Gone

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM

Question Turn Signal Chimes Gone

The other day I noticed that my turn signal chimes disappeared. I was driving and the turn signals were chiming at one point and before I arrived at my destination I noticed that they were gone. I didn't give much care at the moment thinking it would come back later when I was going home from work. Well they never came back. Now my radio doesn't work either. It was working that morning as well. The thing is that I can't tell if the radio can power on at all since I broke the LED screen on it months ago but the radio would still power on and work. Anyone know what could have happened? I was going to replace the stereo anyways so would replacing it bring back my chimes?

Thanks folks.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

You probably know, the door chimes, turning signals are directed through the radio. If the radio goes out so do those attributes that are controlled by such.

And yes, if you replace the radio with another OEM radio, it will more than likely bring back the chimes. Not sure what else is involved with the OEM replacement. Also not sure if an aftermarket stereo system will produce the chimes without a special cable.

members who have replaced/repaired their radios will provide some answers/corrections.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM

Mine did same thing but noticed driver door speaker is out so when I put a new one in I hope it will return I hope its not the radio. I will let ya know
Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 AM

It is either the radio or the speakers. I would think radio since if it is the speakers this means all of your speakers went out at the same time. If you do put another OEM unit in there you will have to have it programmed to the car and that means going to the dealer so they can use Tis2000 to upload a whole new program to the BCM. If you go aftermarket you will need to buy an harness adapter that either ties into the BCM for the chimes to continue to play thru the left front speaker or you will need on that has it's own noise maker. I did the latter as the PAC module is expensive.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
It is either the radio or the speakers. I would think radio since if it is the speakers this means all of your speakers went out at the same time. If you do put another OEM unit in there you will have to have it programmed to the car and that means going to the dealer so they can use Tis2000 to upload a whole new program to the BCM. If you go aftermarket you will need to buy an harness adapter that either ties into the BCM for the chimes to continue to play thru the left front speaker or you will need on that has it's own noise maker. I did the latter as the PAC module is expensive.
Can you name some brands or models that has it's own "noise maker"? I want to take care of this on the weekend.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 PM

Metra/Axcess is the one I am using. Not sure about which other brands but I got mine off ebay for $63 with the harness adapter, antenna adapter, and the dash kit as a full package. The PAC ones are over $100 usually.

Just a heads up there are different models depending on if you have onstar or not and if you have the factory upgraded Pioneer system or the base stereo.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the help folks. Be safe out there.