Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Using a temporary shorter serpentine belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Using a temporary shorter serpentine belt

Good morning fellow HHR owners. My 2006 HHR 2.4L was running perfect until a couple of weeks ago. First my door handle broke, then my compressor seized up. Right now I can't afford to replace the compressor so I am looking to put in a shorter serpentine belt as a temporary solution until I get the compressor replaced. I recognize the inherent issues that may arise by bypassing the compressor however I need the vehicle running. Any ideas on what length I should purchase? I am guessing 35", or slightly shorter. I know a 28 1/4 is too short. Unless you guys know away to get the compressor pulley to spin freely.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Deceased

to the forum upchuck!

Well you have a twofold problem to deal with, obviously the locked up compressor, and then trying to bypass it.

Since the HHR was never offered without A/C there isn't a part number for a non-A/C belt, so it'll all be guesswork. The problem with that is trying to drive the remaining hardware correctly with what is essentially the wrong part, problems will ensue.

Even though the expense of replacing the compressor might be daunting, you need to factor in the cost and trouble of trial and error belt fitting(with the added possibility of damaging the alternator, belt tensioner, etc.), versus repairing the A/C.

I'd check on e-bay and the web for a good used compressor for your HHR, you might be surprised at how cheaply you can buy one.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
to the forum upchuck!

Well you have a twofold problem to deal with, obviously the locked up compressor, and then trying to bypass it.

Since the HHR was never offered without A/C there isn't a part number for a non-A/C belt, so it'll all be guesswork. The problem with that is trying to drive the remaining hardware correctly with what is essentially the wrong part, problems will ensue.

Even though the expense of replacing the compressor might be daunting, you need to factor in the cost and trouble of trial and error belt fitting(with the added possibility of damaging the alternator, belt tensioner, etc.), versus repairing the A/C.

I'd check on e-bay and the web for a good used compressor for your HHR, you might be surprised at how cheaply you can buy one.
Thanks for the reply. Money is hard for me right now, as I am recently disabled and am in the grey waiting area for my comp at the VA, otherwise I would fix it no hesitation.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Deceased

The part number for the compressor is 15893103, and you can find them new online for much less than dealer cost, here's one link....

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-15893103.html

But that's just the first place I found doing a quick search.

If you have a good tech with access to lots of belts, and some patience, you may be able to bypass the compressor for a short while. But it would only be a "band-aid" fix at best, still a high probability of hurting something else.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM

If the compressor is locked up then why won't the pully just turn on the clutch hub or is the clutch hub that is bad ? When the A/C is off the belt still turns no.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by oneton
If the compressor is locked up then why won't the pully just turn on the clutch hub or is the clutch hub that is bad ? When the A/C is off the belt still turns no.
True.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by oneton
Agree. Just remember to unplug the wires to the AC comp. Don't want to have one of those "accidental clutch hub engagements" and burn up a new belt.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:44 PM

No the compressor won't turn at all, Ive tried unplugging the clutch, and jumping the relay. My guess is that its the bearing and not the clutch. Either way I found a belt that works for a temporary bypass-k050350..if people have this issue and are stuck with out the cash to fix. The automatic tensioner takes a minute to adjust though so expect some squeeling.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:54 PM

Maybe its just the clutch hub bearing that is bad, and the compressor is ok. That would make a significant repair cost difference.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 AM

I was in Auto Zone this weekend getting a new belt, and they have a belt listed for the SS with no AC, under 2 brands. With AC, it's a 400K5 (40"). Without it, it's a 345K5 (34.5"). Not sure I would recommend it, but it's available.

Quick Reply: Using a temporary shorter serpentine belt