Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 PM

I came across your tip from a google search and had to register to tell you:

Thank you!!!

That tip about the bolt was invaluable. I'm just putting everything back together now, but figured I'd send this before I forgot.

Thanks again
Guy

Originally Posted by donbrew
Mine started leaking from the top mounted weep hole enough that coolant was needed regularly, no noise. It was on my replacement Junkyard motor, so hard to say mileage wise. I have become convinced that most of the "disappearing coolant" questions are due to the design of the water pump; the weep hole is at the top and in a well, so you really have to be looking for it.

I forgot that you will also need a 1.5 inch bolt (#10, I think) to cut the head off of to make a pilot out of. Do that before you start!

It was only about a 3 beer job, including 1 to clean up. Not a real big deal, except for lining things up. You do have to remove the T-stat housing and the pipe, you should get new rubber grommets. Rebuilt pumps usually come with the pump gasket, new ones don't, so less money gets you more product. Shop around for the tool, if you have time; they can be had cheaper than $50, (I needed one by tomorrow!). Search ecotec water pump tool.

Making noise MAY be timing chain and/or tensioners; pay somebody to do that job!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:11 PM

Donbrew has a lot of first hand experience that he is kind enough to share with us. There are lots of others that will share also. It's what makes this site a great place to ask question and learn more about hhr's
Old 12-27-2016, 01:58 PM

My water pump isn't making any noise, but it's leaking. My Hanes book said that the weep hole is on the bottom of the water pump. I used to work on my own cars all the time but I can no longer do so, bcuz of my rheumatoid arthritis. I have been checking around to see how much it will cost to have it replaced for me, it's a staggering $600-$800!! OUCH!
Old 12-27-2016, 02:03 PM

The weep hole is on the top, there is a drain bolt on the bottom. I would check to be sure that is where the leak is, other places are more likely.

labor 4.5 hours
part MSRP $271 But $40-$60 elsewhere.
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2016, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Have them just snug up that drain plug, and welcome to the site!
Old 12-27-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The weep hole is on the top, there is a drain bolt on the bottom. I would check to be sure that is where the leak is, other places are more likely.

labor 4.5 hours
part MSRP $271 But $40-$60 elsewhere.
Thanks Don, I will make sure I check. Like I said before, my Haynes manual show's an illustration showing the weep hole directly next to the drain bolt. I'd attached the illustration, but I'm still learning this web page. Thank you again. I'll be calling on a reman water pump here in a few minutes. You've been very helpful! I love this site��
Old 12-31-2016, 06:03 PM

Just pulled the water pump and mine and I am replacing it. It is identical to the image Don posted. have a 2010 2.4L motor. Watched a youtube and the design is identical. Front crank seal started to suddenly leak, and so I bought an aftermarket kit with the seal, timing chain, balance chain, guides, cam and crank gears, water pump, gaskets, for $220 total. Project is not for the faint of heart, but hasn't been horrible. It looks like these items have never been replaced, so these are probably one time repairs.

I am actually now curious about the water pump only install and why a special tool is needed. The rotation of the water pump would not affect the balance shaft chain, so I assume the tool is just so the chain doesn't drop.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:59 PM

The tool holds the sprocket in position so it can be unbolted from the pump. You don't even remove the chain cover, only the inspection cover.

Here is the how to with drawings.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...acement-56476/
Old 03-15-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by petersg_99
I came across your tip from a google search and had to register to tell you:

Thank you!!!

That tip about the bolt was invaluable. I'm just putting everything back together now, but figured I'd send this before I forgot.

Thanks again
Guy
is this sti a 3 hour job with the engine out I’m replacing mine and was going to do it as well as the timing chain tensioner before installing it
Old 03-15-2018, 06:25 PM

Engine out 10 minutes, less if you are changing timing chains anyway.

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement