Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Weird battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:22 AM

Weird battery issue

I don't drive my '09 HHR very much, usually about 30 minutes a week. Having said that I've had my battery go dead twice. The first time it happened I recharged it - no problem.

It's happened again. When I try to start the car I get the typical dead battery symptoms, standard stuff. However, this time when I tried to recharge the battery (I know how, done it before) two different chargers read a fully charged battery.

What does it mean when the battery acts dead but reads fully charged?

How long should you be able to park your HHR without driving it before the battery goes dead?

Are batteries covered under the warranty?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:19 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Czechman
Are batteries covered under the warranty?
2 years in my warranty, dealer covered my battery when it wouldn't hold a charge.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 AM

Dealer replaced my battery in Jan. it was around 2 years old.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Am I safe to assume that I can have it jump started and drive it to the dealer with a dead battery?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:11 PM
RFT

Originally Posted by Czechman
Am I safe to assume that I can have it jump started and drive it to the dealer with a dead battery?
Shouldn't be a problem. As long as the alternator is good, it will provide enough power to run everything until you turn it off again.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:22 PM

It’s not uncommon to have a battery show full charge, yet not have enough real charge to start a car. Your battery has what we used to call a surface charge, but won't hold a 'deep' charge. I have had a number of batteries fail that way, though usually they are five to seven years old when it happens. Yes you can safely jump start it, and drive it, but it probably won't restart if it sits for any period of time. If I recall correctly twenty to twenty five days is the maximum the HHR can sit without parasitic battery drains killing the battery.

Last edited by Laco; 05-30-2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Thanks Laco,

Let's say the car sits for two weeks and is then driven at highway speed for a half hour. Is that sufficient time to completely charge the battery?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Most likely not. If you keep the HHR in your garage buy an electronic trickle charger will only supply enough energy to your battery as it senses it loosing juice. Even when you buy a new battery it does not come fully charged unless it is kept on trickle charges in the store/shop.

Mike
Old 05-30-2010, 05:09 PM

Has anyone replaced their battery? Is there a replacement available with the vent and the right size except the Delco? I cannot find one shown at AutoZone, Checker, Costco, etc.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
If you keep the HHR in your garage buy an electronic trickle charger will only supply enough energy to your battery as it senses it loosing juice. Even when you buy a new battery it does not come fully charged unless it is kept on trickle charges in the store/shop.Mike
I have one of those "smart" Battery Tenders and used it for a while but then stopped because I was driving it about 40 miles one day a week and figured that would be sufficient. It sounds like the battery is defective but I'll find out tomorrow.

It will be on the Tender from now on.

Quick Reply: Weird battery issue