Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

weird issue with Interior lights staying on

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:08 AM

weird issue with Interior lights staying on

Hello folks, I have a very strange issue that may or not be related to a third party alarm on my 2006 LS.

So here is what happens. I open the passenger door, put the key in and move to first position, roll up the windows, turn off and remove key, close the passenger door.
Now the clock and waterfall lights are on, interior lights are on...then interior lights dim and go off but the clock and waterfall are still on and stay on

Now if I open the drivers door, then close it, the clock and WF shut off.

I once experienced a dead battery due to the car being parked for several days and didn't know this was happening!.

Just my luck of the draw or....

Anyone want to give this a try and let me know?

Take Care,

Mike R
Old 07-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Funny time...........
Just use the drivers side door
Old 07-16-2019, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Mine will do this same thing. I think it's actually a design flaw.
I have forgotten and left the sunroof open. Then went in by the passenger door, inserted the key and closed the sunroof. When I removed the key and closed the passenger door, I noticed the radio stayed on.
BUT. I'm pretty sure if you left those things "On" the RAP system (Retained Accessory Power) will turn them off after 20 minutes.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Technical Moderator

I bet your tail lights are on too. Whoever installed it needs to relook at the splicing they did.

Oddly the tail lights are wired up to the water fall lights.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:15 AM

WOW I really didn't expect someone else to have the same/similar problem.

Well I only noticed this at night of course and no tail lights. I don't think the RAP system is turning them off, but I am going to verify that ASAP.
The RAP does work as in I commonly leave a door open and or the gate during these freaking hot days and I know the interior lights do shut off.

Frankly I'm OK with it now that I know. There are times the car will sit for several days and it really ticks me off to kill a battery. Only did that once but we all know that shortens the life of a LA Battery.

Mike R
Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I bet your tail lights are on too. Whoever installed it needs to relook at the splicing they did.

Oddly the tail lights are wired up to the water fall lights.
Don you lost that bet haha, But here is a strange thing maybe as well.
Long ago I had a battery replaced and the tech tried to tell me my brake lights didn't work.
Now I'm not sure but in my case the brake lights do not work unless the ignition is on, only the center top light does.

As for the alarm, you are dead on as for the splicing. IN another thread I ran here years ago I had what appeared to be a bad ECM, all kinds of weird sheet would happen until I noticed the Security light coming on while driving.
That was the clue that it had nothing to do with any of the modules. Moving the wires around on the passenger side of the water fall lead to a poor splice.

Mike R

Mike R
Old 07-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Technical Moderator

Only the windows are on the RAP relay. The courtesy lights are controlled by the BCM (on PCB Solid State relay) to fade out. If your brake lights only work when the engine is on something has been changed not stock.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:35 AM

OK, so I did another check this morning. Indeed the WF and clock shut off after 20 minutes.
So what ever happened a couple months ago to kill the battery is still a mystery.

I'm not going to fret over it, it hasn't happened since.

Appreciate the diagram Don.

Mike R
Old 07-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Don. You lost me on a couple things about this.
Mine has no brake lights unless the key is "on". No, all my wiring is stock. No add on's.
RAP relay only controls the windows ? So what retains the power to the radio and sunroof after shutdown ? I know mine still has power to those after the key is removed.
They loose power when the drivers door opens.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:26 AM

My '09 does this also, with the correction that it shuts off after 10 minutes, not 20. It seems to be only the radio, I can't see any other lights on the waterfall. The dome lights turn off quickly, as Mike noted. Opening the driver door turns off the radio readout and clock.

The bit about no other waterfall lights may be part of the changes in '09(and all years SS). Or it may not have been dark enough, although I covered the light sensor.

Quick Reply: weird issue with Interior lights staying on