Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

weird issue with Interior lights staying on

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Technical Moderator

Sunroof counts as window.
The radio is controlled by the data bus, the radio itself is always powered, the data bus determines whether it is on or not, like the headlights. That's why people installing after market radios are always looking for a switched circuit and you should use the LAN adapter instead.

The brake lights are a bit confusing. The diagrams show the fuse as "always hot" but the wires go through the BCM, so I guess I'm wrong there. However, the 2006 does not have a separate circuit for the CHMSL, it should also work key off.

I have been ASSuming that we are talking about a 2006.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:57 AM

So just to chime in my girlfriend has a 2018 Elantra and it has the exact same functions; Radio stays on until DRIVER door is open, windows still work until ANY door is open. Guess cars haven't changed that much in ten years LOL. Oh and on a side note her car is WAY quieter from inside and the exhaust is damn near silent but the engine is about twice as loud as the HHR. It sounds like what an HHR sounds like with a bad chain!
Old 07-20-2019, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Sunroof counts as window.
The radio is controlled by the data bus, the radio itself is always powered, the data bus determines whether it is on or not, like the headlights. That's why people installing after market radios are always looking for a switched circuit and you should use the LAN adapter instead.

The brake lights are a bit confusing. The diagrams show the fuse as "always hot" but the wires go through the BCM, so I guess I'm wrong there. However, the 2006 does not have a separate circuit for the CHMSL, it should also work key off.

I have been ASSuming that we are talking about a 2006.
Indeed I stated in the first post a 2006 LS. Just to make sue other year models would not be a factor.

Mike R
Old 07-23-2019, 11:43 AM

This is typical of all years I believe. I know you had to open the drivers door on my 06 to shut everything down.

And the L/R brake lights only came on with the ignition on. The 3rd will light up with the ignition off. I never understood why on that one. Daughters Cobalt is the same.