Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Where to buy battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM

no, i wasnt using the battery posts to jump, i used the spots under the hood, but i keep my cables with the spare.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:37 PM

Smile

The battery in our HHR would have been 4 Years old this coming August 15th. Probably already that old considering the "Build Date"! So, figuring you're lucky to get two Years out of a battery in the Phoenix area, according to AAA, (And my own experiences)I just went to the Chevy Dealer where we bought the car, and had them replace it! I can't complain about the service we got from the original battery. But I was a bit surprised by the $161.00 cost of replacing it!! I guess we have to do our part to keep the Dealerships operating don't we? ( The Showroom looked like a Morgue!!)
Old 07-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
But I was a bit surprised by the $161.00 cost of replacing it!! I guess we have to do our part to keep the Dealerships operating don't we? ( The Showroom looked like a Morgue!!)
YIKES!!

That's insane! You can get one for half that at Autozone and they'll put it in for ya!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:09 AM

Yeah, I have been looking in my area (Georgia)... Oreilly's and Autozone have them for around $90
Old 07-02-2009, 07:39 PM

Talking

I really thought about putting a Bosch battery in it, but last time I checked with Pep Boys, they said Bosch didn't make a battery yet for the HHR! Oh Well! If this battery last as long as the Original did I'll be happy! I'll be lucky to be around myself in 4 Years!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
I just went to the Chevy Dealer where we bought the car, and had them replace it! I can't complain about the service we got from the original battery. But I was a bit surprised by the $161.00 cost of replacing it!!
That is a pretty hefty charge for a 10 minute job to install a battery. I just bought one at my Chevy dealer for $105 + tax. (Although I think full list might be $187). I ran mine completely flat twice, and it seemed to be down a couple of 10ths of a volt in the morning, did not want to take any chances, so I replaced it. BTW if you pick up a new battery make sure it has the vent plug installed in the side opposite the vent tube, if not use the old plug. As has been pointed out, you need to vent even "sealed" batteries outside as under certain conditions they will still outgas, and you don't want those fumes in your passenger compartment.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 PM

Geez! I hope I get a little more battery life out of mine! The battery in my Lumina lasted 8 years, and 130,000 miles! It was the original battery. The one in my truck was 6 years old when I replaced it. Both were AC/Delco brand.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Geez! I hope I get a little more battery life out of mine! The battery in my Lumina lasted 8 years, and 130,000 miles! It was the original battery. The one in my truck was 6 years old when I replaced it. Both were AC/Delco brand.
That's about right, but in my experience batteries don't like to be drained completely and left that way. I ran mine down twice and did not want to take any chances. New AC/Delcos come with a 100% unconditional 3 year warranty and amortized to 6 years after that. Dealer offered to replace mine under warranty, so if my old one does not test as good that is my option (still seems like my fault though).
Old 07-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Darkangel
I thought you were supposed to jump start the car from under the hood? Thats what the manual says anyways.
Jump start the HHR from under the hood is fine and the proper way to do it.

However, if you are jump starting another vehicle the L o n g cable from the battery to the front of the vehicle may create too much voltage drop when used at high currents to start another vehicle. Remember the HHR is built to the lowest standards for weight and fuel economy. They like to save all the weight they(GM) can in copper wire.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Dealer told me, if I have to jump start the HHR, not to ground on the strut. He says they have replaced a number of damaged struts, because of that. Their advice, find someplace on the engine block for the grounding cable.

Quick Reply: Where to buy battery?