Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Where to buy battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 PM

OK, the original conversation was about a replacement battery. The dealer wants $161 for a replacement, but I always trade up my old batteries with Optima Gels. No venting, handles high heat, will work in any position, and has an extremely long life. It does cost $155 and you get to install it.

Now, will it fit and hook up with those weird cable ends on the HHR?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:17 AM

Optima makes a Yellow Top that fits mid 90's Civics that has posts small enough for our OEM terminals to fit. I'm just not sure if they'd have enough CCA's...
Old 07-22-2009, 09:22 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Sno White
However, if you are jump starting another vehicle the L o n g cable from the battery to the front of the vehicle may create too much voltage drop when used at high currents to start another vehicle.

I just used the HHR the other day to jump start my wife's Infiniti QX4.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 AM

interstate

interstate brand , interstate brand , or interstate brand , maybe optima if the price is right , i think they are offering 20% off now at advance auto.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jx3

I just used the HHR the other day to jump start my wife's Infiniti QX4.
Not all of us live in WARM Miami. In the COLD winter when batteries are not at their best and engines have thick oil, the minimal gauge wire used in the HHR from the Battery to the engine compartment DOES reduce the voltage and current available to jump start another vehicle.

This picture may help those who are wondering about space:

Shown are the original battery and a 1000CCA Red Top. They are isolated by a constant duty relay that is activated only when the Fuel Pump is energized.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Sno White, Now that's what I call "forever power"! Not too sure if I'll do all that but I'll be doing a big yellow top when the time comes. How big you think I should go?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by stranger
Sno White, Now that's what I call "forever power"! Not too sure if I'll do all that but I'll be doing a big yellow top when the time comes. How big you think I should go?
A few notes about my installation above:
I am not too safety conscience and don't believe all the hype put out by the manufactures. The stock battery vent broke the first time I "looked" at the battery and I never had it fixed. As you can read elsewhere many people have them break too. My bet is a lot of people are riding around with malfunctioning vents and will never know it. When the stock battery needs replacement the vehicle will receive another sealed battery.

The extra battery is NOT physically tied down. In truth, it is wedged in there very well; the tire holds it from moving forward and all the plastic trim parts hold it from vertical movement. This friction fit was what determined what size battery I purchased. I was going to put some insulators on the terminals, but found none I thought would do the job.

As for your size question:
IMHO, at a minimum whatever the stock vehicle battery is rated for - mine is 600 CCA, you'll have to look at yours. As for maximum, technically I "guess" that would depend upon whatever the alternator can put out - I didn't worry about it and wont. I have run this configuration in other GM vehicles and have been very happy to have the extra fully charged battery on hand when I do something stupid. Having the spare battery connected only when the fuel pump is operating saves if for starting power and is disconnected when the engine is not running. My extra battery is not there to increase the capacity or any function of the vehicle.

In consideration of the Yellow Top: I don’t know what the price differential is between the Red and Yellow Tops of the same Cranking Amps is, but with the HHR and the RAP shut down, deep cycle is not any concern I have. Maybe those with powerful sound systems and disabled RAP should consider the deep cycle capability.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 PM

battery safe?

if you don't think that extra battery can be bumped up fly thru the car taking your head with it thru the windshield you are wrong....i had a spare tire come thru my car , from my trunk , knocking down both the rear and front seats then hit the dashboard....this was in a minor accident , the cars involved were not totaled.....believe what you want....i post this for your safety not mine....i doubt the battery will make it into my vehicle but that is also possible......i ride with loose parts and batteries in back 6 days a week , but i got a death wish
Old 07-22-2009, 06:53 PM

I'm like you Catdaddy. I use my vehicle as a truck. Any battery will have to get past my ladders, tool boxes, etc.; all of which will hit me long before anything below the floor can.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
if you don't think that extra battery can be bumped up fly thru the car taking your head with it thru the windshield you are wrong....i had a spare tire come thru my car , from my trunk , knocking down both the rear and front seats then hit the dashboard....this was in a minor accident , the cars involved were not totaled.....believe what you want....i post this for your safety not mine....i doubt the battery will make it into my vehicle but that is also possible......i ride with loose parts and batteries in back 6 days a week , but i got a death wish
Not as bad as the 2 150lb weights we had in the back of my truck in the winter. Then we bolted them down...but I still never trusted them from not flying up and killing me. Luckily that was never an issue, and now I don't drive it in winter, again not an issue anymore. That would have sucked had that happened...I never would have got my HHR!!!!

Quick Reply: Where to buy battery?