Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Where is (CMP) cam pos sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
The p0102 is causing the rough shifting. It is a problem with the MAF sensor. Do you have an oiled air filter?
Yes I put on a aftermarket oiled air filter. I have replaced/ cleaned MAF sensor more than once.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:43 PM

The hard shifting is caused by the MAF code!!!! Fix that and shifting will be smooth. Oil may have destroyed the sensor.

It is NOT a transmission problem.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:53 PM

I'll try doing what you said, appreciate your input.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:39 PM

I'll back up what donbrew said with this. The MAF and RPM are used to determine load. Load is a value used by the TCM to determine shift time and hardness. Any problem with a load value being off will make for strange or erratic shifts
Old 02-12-2023, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by greg8453
I'll back up what donbrew said with this. The MAF and RPM are used to determine load. Load is a value used by the TCM to determine shift time and hardness. Any problem with a load value being off will make for strange or erratic shifts
Uh….Nope. Not the reason for the strange shifts.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Uh….Nope. Not the reason for the strange shifts.
Really. You do not have much experience with this.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

No. I don’t. My HHR is a 5 speed but….
The OP stated he has a code P0102 showing. That is one of several codes that can cause a HHR to go into “ limp mode” (or whatever you call it). The car then will do those harsh shifts.
It’s been discussed on this site for years. Something in the OBD programming will create the harsh shifts to “ Get The Drivers Attention” that the CEL needs to be checked. GM’s way of getting your attention.
Like I said, been listening to the old timers on this forum talk about this for years. I have no reason to doubt this is what the OP is experiencing those hard shifts for.
If you want to tell me your HHR is different, then I’m all ears.

P.S. I turned wrenches for a living many years ago. Haven’t done it for money in a long time. Still work on my own stuff though.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
No. I don’t. My HHR is a 5 speed but….
The OP stated he has a code P0102 showing. That is one of several codes that can cause a HHR to go into “ limp mode” (or whatever you call it). The car then will do those harsh shifts.
It’s been discussed on this site for years. Something in the OBD programming will create the harsh shifts to “ Get The Drivers Attention” that the CEL needs to be checked. GM’s way of getting your attention.
Like I said, been listening to the old timers on this forum talk about this for years. I have no reason to doubt this is what the OP is experiencing those hard shifts for.
If you want to tell me your HHR is different, then I’m all ears.

P.S. I turned wrenches for a living many years ago. Haven’t done it for money in a long time. Still work on my own stuff though.
If you read the literature on how the TCM determines when to shift and how hard to apply the clutches when shifting you will find the load value the TCM receives is critical. Any load variations from actual will result in shift issues. The load value is determined mainly from TPS and MAF. To a bit lesser degree is vehicle speed.
Anytime you experience shifting issues it's a good idea to look at these values first.
There's nothing wrong with what you mention it's just that it's not the only thing that can cause these issues. A partially plugged exhaust can cause it from the engine not breathing correctly. It can skew the MAF reading.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:12 AM

Except that the ECM turns the TCM off when there is a performance related code, then the TCM shifts according to the tables with no feedback.
So, yes and no. Both are correct.

Don't forget the MAF is also the IAT, which has a big effect in extreme temperatures. The MAF and the IAT share the electrical supply in series, if the MAF shorts the IAT goes wonky.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Recently, as I was backing out of a parking space, so was the car on the other side.
We bumped into each other with no damage, but my CEL lit up.
SISU shifted hard (limp mode) all the way home.
I don't remember what the code was but it had somthing to do with a loose wire.
I just figured the 'bump' was just enough to jostle the connector.
Rechecked all connectors and then I then cleared the code and all went back to normal.

Quick Reply: Where is (CMP) cam pos sensor