Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Why do the door panels rust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM

Yeah that sound to good to be true. Guessing rust thru doesn't happen many times on less then 6 years.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by warhawk77
Yeah that sound to good to be true. Guessing rust thru doesn't happen many times on less then 6 years.
No it doesn't As hyperv6 stated earlier, this rust will not really be apparent from the outside for years. Many cars rust in that area; my 07 Ford is even starting to rust there
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Read that as a "Rust THROUGH" warranty........ bubbles on the inside of the door panels may not be covered.
Yes. Many of the good dealers will take care of it but some of the dealers that should have been closed down won't.

Just watch what dealer you work with if you have a good one keep them if you have a bad one find a better one.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
Cars from the "rust belt" states (states that use salt for the winter roads) will show that seam rust. Originally I lived in upstate NY and all my cars showed that type of rust. The HHR, I bought in Florida and shows no rust in 5+ years.
If they dipped and sealed them right in Mexico, they should not rust. Mine are bubbling up on all my doors underneath the paint. So the process was wrong or the metal was rusty when they painted it. Zinc coated doors on the inside should not rust. Glue replaced hem welds so they have no excuse of rusting. Just an another example of LOW BID quality.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Well, there are "weep holes" down at the bottom of the panels (that get closed when you close the door), the window "seal" is a laugh.

So, do not car wash often and after any wash or rain leave the doors open long enough to run the battery down to avoid the problem, AND inspect any used car BEFORE purchase.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by interrex
If they dipped and sealed them right in Mexico, they should not rust. Mine are bubbling up on all my doors underneath the paint. So the process was wrong or the metal was rusty when they painted it. Zinc coated doors on the inside should not rust. Glue replaced hem welds so they have no excuse of rusting. Just an another example of LOW BID quality.
Not the fault of the lowest bidder.....ALL auto manufacturers use the LOW BID process. You did answer the correct reasoning in your first sentence........poor assembly. Some have the problem...some don't.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Not the fault of the lowest bidder.....ALL auto manufacturers use the LOW BID process. You did answer the correct reasoning in your first sentence........poor assembly. Some have the problem...some don't.
heh,heh. So, some Mexicans are stereotypes, but not all? It's a joke, OK!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

I get your joke, BUT....

The reference really wasn't directed specifically to Mexico. Corvettes have the same consistency problem out of Kentucky.....Camaros have it out of Canada. Some vehicles, from the same plant, have assembly problems, some don't.

I'm told, that's one of the areas, to improve quality, GM has been working on.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 AM

well they have a ways to go then. Mine has been 'repaired' twice now under the three year warranty, and the service advisor assured me that would continue. However i brought it in a third time and they said my case needed to be evaluated by the regional gm rep before any more work is done. Its been months now with no reply. Fail.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Nearly every car MFG has areas that could be better. Rust is a fact of life on nearly all cars including Corvettes [frame or other non body parts etc]

The Sonata has issues with rust in the sub frame. My buddy at the dealer said they are fixing it by beating the sub frame with a hammer to break loose the rust in the frame and spray it with wax.

Toyota here in Ohio has had to buy back many trucks as their frames rusted in half and the trucks were breaking in half. I had a co worker have this happed to him.

The rust on the HHR is small and slow. Very few of us will have these cars when it becomes an issue. At this point the oldest HHRs are now 6-7 years old and to this point I have not seen an HHR with any rust through or more than the few bumps on the seam.

While many here are worried about the doors areas like the rockers and rear quarters could be more of an issue later. Just look at many of todays cars. The rockers on many will rust out. I have seen many Grand Prix's and other W bodys where the rockers are gone. Same on many other makes. Also the real lip on the quarter panel could trap rust and create problems later.

The HHR is not a rust free car and none are if you drive them in the weather. You ue them up a little every time you drive one and while they could do the doors better the sky is not falling here.

I see many of the guys buying old Fiero's and with the plastic bodies they think they are clean cars. Well they are all metal on the space frame and they rust out. I have seen some where the rear bumper and tail lights are only supported by the fiberglass quarters as the rear space frame is rusted away under it. Not good. Some have paid a lot of money for a good looking car that for the most has no support under the body.

Rust never Sleeps.

Either way it will be years before we see any normal rust through on a HHR and it may not even be on the doors first.

Quick Reply: Why do the door panels rust?