Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

This is why i don't trust dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:59 AM

This is why i don't trust dealerships

So I get an email from the salesman the other day stating I need to bring her in for a 6 mo./6k mi. service. Huh? Even though I have read the service requirements, I search the manual again - nada - zip - zilch on that, it's all based on the oil life indicator as to when the service is done. So I write the salesman back and ask him where he got the info - he never writes back (shocking). Here's the email:

Hi mike ,

I wanted to remind you of your 6 month or 6,000 mile Maintenance. If you have not done so yet, call our service department and schedule an appointment. If you will let me know when your vehicle will be in, I will follow up for you and make sure everything gets handled properly. If I can help you with anything while your car is in for service, please don't hesitate to call on me.

Once again, if you know of anyone looking for a new or used vehicle, I would really appreciate the referral and you can rest assure they will receive extra special treatment.

Sincerely,

Jason Swaim
Chevrolet Internet Manager
Moritz Chevrolet Chrysler Jeep
800-641-7211

Well I was going to get the oil changed early anyway (the indicator was at 53%) for the first oil change, so I bring her in. As the service writer was writing up the ticket for the oil change, I ask him about what the salesman emailed me. He said yes that's right. I told him that I had researched the requirement and it's not in the manual. He said it should be. I said have you ever serviced HHRs before, because its not in there! He said yes, all the time, I'll show you (audience holds their breath). We pull out my manual, he looks it up and sees the same thing I see (bottom dwelling customer wins first round). Service guy stands still with frustrated facial expression. He says, let's go into my office and I'll pull it up on the GM computer network (yee-ha). Nope, it's the same exact thing as in the manual again - it all goes by the oil life indicator (poor slob customer wins second round). Of course he then spouts the party line about how our conditions are bad here, dust, temp extremes, blah - blah - blah, GM should have put it in the manual, blah - blah - blah, etc. etc. etc. . . . . . Grrrrrr.

Please.

These are the professional people that should know the cars service requirements inside out? You should at least know what the manual says, then you can spout your story about why I need to bring it in on some other schedule and we can have a debate about it. But you actually meet customers and you don't know what the maintenence requirements really are? I really feel sorry for people that don't read the manual and have to trust these people. I shudder to think about what actually goes down back there where you can't see what's happening. I apologize to all the good service people out there, but give me a friggin break! Don't give me BS, know your stuff!

Old 11-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Banned

I'm pretty sure it was an automated systems fault. The computer probably tells them to send you reminders at pre set intervals like every three months regardless if you have an oil life monitoring system or not. I bet when you get your oil change the reminder sticker will say, "return in 3 months/xx,xxx miles" not "return when your DIC tells you to".
Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I'm pretty sure it was an automated systems fault. The computer probably tells them to send you reminders at pre set intervals like every three months regardless if you have an oil life monitoring system or not. I bet when you get your oil change the reminder sticker will say, "return in 3 months/xx,xxx miles" not "return when your DIC tells you to".
Yep, they put the sticker on the window just like you correctly predicted - but with a twist. They DID reset the oil life indicator! Why are they trying to confuse me.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Banned

At least they did better than the last time I got an oil change. I got home and realized they never reset my oil life monitor. I had to do it myself. Its not really that big of an inconvenience or anything but you figure the guy changing the oil would know enough to reset it. They reset it on my previous oil changes before that.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by MikeX
Yep, they put the sticker on the window just like you correctly predicted - but with a twist. They DID reset the oil life indicator! Why are they trying to confuse me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... the problem ISN'T the product, it's the individuals selling/servicing that cause all the pain!!! I too avoid dealers at any and all cost.

To relate to your story... my wife took her Saab in for it's scheduled oil change maintenance (our local Saab deaeler won't take your vehicle unless the DIC says get the oil changed- maybe because it's a lease- dunno?). At any rate- she gets the oil changed and all fluids topped off and THEY put a sticker in her vehicle!?!?!? Now- Saab ONLY runs synthetic (from the factory) and... she's already surpassed the mileage listed on the sticker - and the DIC 'Oil Life' indicator reads 75% (only 25% used).
Hmmmm... .. .

Some dealers like to make money TOO much!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:18 AM

My husband continually says only about 5% of mechanics out there actually know what they're doing. He took our 1998 Jeep Cherokee for an oil change (he had just had back surgery and couldn't do it himself which he normally does). They came back saying our brake shoes needed to be replaced. Knowing he had replaced them less than a year ago he declined. He brought the car home and put it up on the jack (with his back) and sure enough...there was still PLENTY of meat left on the shoes. Sadly, this was our local Chevy dealer but not the one we got our HHR from though.

We're hoping now with a new car and warranty he will get a break from having to service our vehicle but then we have to contend with not-so-good service people in alot of cases. My apologies also to any good service people out there. You are a rarity.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:19 AM

The dealership that I deal with has these semi-annual maintenance items listed on their guideline board. I never go for it.

I follow what GM indicates in the owners manual.

On my previous vehicle, one particular service manager tried to get me to go for an automatic transmission flush (at $120 + tax) because the transmission fluid was a little dirty. I told him that GM recommended changing the transmission fluid at 83,000 kms at the earliest. He didn't bother me again about it after that.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:32 PM

Got the exact same letter - verbatim

MikeX - I just got the exact same letter. The only difference was the salesmans information - I live in Philly! Thinking the computer just sends these things out.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:28 PM

Heh, my dealership just sent me a 1-year birthday card for my car (Nov 6) and included a comp oil change!

Just goes to show it ain't "dealerships" it's certain dealerships!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:33 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
We had our oil changed in September 2006, and when we left the service area, they put a sticker reminder inside the car for us to come back in November 2006 for our scheduled oil change.

Hmmmm.

Quick Reply: This is why i don't trust dealerships