Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Windshield trim molding rubber seal gasket fitment

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 06:01 PM

Windshield trim molding rubber seal gasket fitment

Pardon the keyword subject line... while the rubber trim is not a seal it may be thought of that way by some or referred to as molding by others.

Just had windshield replaced by insurance via Safelite - no costs to me. Great customer service but I do not like how the molding fits. My issue is that while they are willing to redo it my choices according to them are:
* replace with the same sourced parts and likely be the same result as glass has that "seal" attached by supplier
* can remove seal/molding and add to glass from another source. No promises.

Before I pursue replacement, I should try to be helpful if this is a simple matter of supplier so I can advise on from where or how. Other threads mention safelite but no issues with molding that I can find:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...dshield-54166/

I SHOULD have taken a picture of the before. Fitment was great and it wasn't the original glass. Just noticed they also left my cowl trim kinda loose, going to garage to check it shortly.
Edit: fitment thread with similar appearance after getting "proper" install. Maybe I'm too picky?

Opinions welcome.

As apposed to filling the gap to body, molding folds under in places.
Attached Files
File Type: mpg
hhrglass.mpg (3.29 MB, 43 views)

Last edited by McB_HHR; 08-18-2018 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Added another similar topic
Old 08-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Technical Moderator

There is no top or bottom seal other than the butyl they apply. It was like that before.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:03 PM

Don, you might have missed where I noted it isn't a seal. We can call it the "black rubbery doodad filling the gap between glass and body".

Its definitely different now and obviously different from one side to the other (uneven). How NORMAL is that? If it looks like all other HHR's I'll leave it as is.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Technical Moderator

The plastic things on the sides?

the windshield is just glued into the hole. The only place there is anything like molding is the plastic things. There isn't supposed to be anything filling the gap at the top. If the glass is not in straight, that is installer error

I don't see anything wrong in the pic. Unless, that is a rubber gasket Maybe it came with one but it usually gets discarded. There is no part number I can find.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:54 PM

The arrow I added to my image points to the most drastic change as you scan across the top of the glass from driver to passenger side. Do your corners look the same? Equal on both sides? I also included the video to original post so you can see how the gasket/reveal molding/doodad dips in deeper then back up nearly flush to only almost disappear on the passenger side. Each corner is different from each other.

The image of your car shows the gap filled by something. There is a part, #3, in the GM diagram though I cant find the specific part number either. This could explain why you say it is discarded? Image of your upper glass corners would tell a lot.

It seems as though whatever install was done on this car prior was aftermarket adding initial confusion. You can see the old dirt line on the paint. Either way, if everyone else has an even look on both sides I'll likely have it replaced again.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:40 PM

I'll try to get some pics of mine tomorrow. I agree, what they did for you does not look good.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:42 PM

Not factory glass

Old 08-19-2018, 11:25 PM

Thanks for that RJ. Probably sourced from the same place!